06 YZ-250 Clutch Pull

I have been noticing that the clutch pull on my 250 has been getting pretty heavy. I figured that it was just time for a new clutch cable so I ordered one and installed it. The problem did not go away. I have double checked that it is run properly and is not kinked in any way. At this point, I am assuming that it is something internal so I wanted to post the question for some ideas before i start to rip her apart.

Has anyone else had this problem. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ride Safe!

FJP

I have been noticing that the clutch pull on my 250 has been getting pretty heavy. I figured that it was just time for a new clutch cable so I ordered one and installed it. The problem did not go away. I have double checked that it is run properly and is not kinked in any way. At this point, I am assuming that it is something internal so I wanted to post the question for some ideas before i start to rip her apart.

Has anyone else had this problem. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ride Safe!

FJP

Clean the cable or replace it. When you open up the clutch perch, clean the levers/perch with brake cleaner and then lubricate it. This should fix the problem.

Are you sure it's not your fingers getting weak?

I kid, I kid...

Honestly, the best thing I did to fix my clutch pull, besides replacing the cable, was to clean out and grease the parts that attach your cable to the rod (including what's up inside there).

It doesn't make the pull easier, per se, but it makes the pull smoother.

...When you open up the clutch perch, clean the levers/perch with brake cleaner and then lubricate it.
Also check the lever to see if the cable hole or pivot hole has become worn (ovalized). This can cause a lot of drag.

Is the new cable you bought an OEM cable? Because many aftermarket cables do not have the little tin sleeve that fits over the cable end (like the OEM cables), and that little piece does a surprising job of reducing lever effort.

Get a flywheel puller and remove the allen screw that holds the push lever in place, remove it. Check the bearing and oil seal, most likely the seal is leaking and the bearing has a bit of dust/dirt in it. You could shove a wad of paper towel in behind it and start spraying the bearing out with brake cleaner if its dirty, dab up as much of it as you can with a q-tip and let dry. You could also use wads of paper towel to clean it out. Fish out the paper towel wad and grease up the bearing with axel grease, clean the push lever area that rides the bearing and see if it's still round and not scored. Overlook the push lever and the cam area that rides on your push rod, make sure that it's not score or damaged as well.

I would think that would make a huge difference in clutch pull, just a thought :banana:

• Like 1

When you replace your cables, buy the one for the 2009 YZ250... They are shorter, made from a smaller diameter wire, and route down the left side of the frame. All of those things make the clutch pull even lighter.

It's a noticable improvement, and well worth $18 for the 2009 OEM cable.

Guys with four strokes can't believe how light the clutch is on my "clapped out old two stroke".

• Like 2

Get a flywheel puller and remove the allen screw that holds the push lever in place, remove it. Check the bearing and oil seal, most likely the seal is leaking and the bearing has a bit of dust/dirt in it. You could shove a wad of paper towel in behind it and start spraying the bearing out with brake cleaner if its dirty, dab up as much of it as you can with a q-tip and let dry. You could also use wads of paper towel to clean it out. Fish out the paper towel wad and grease up the bearing with axel grease, clean the push lever area that rides the bearing and see if it's still round and not scored. Overlook the push lever and the cam area that rides on your push rod, make sure that it's not score or damaged as well.

I would think that would make a huge difference in clutch pull, just a thought :eek:

This is a much more detailed and accurate description of what I was talking about... :banana:

When you replace your cables, buy the one for the 2009 YZ250... They are shorter, made from a smaller diameter wire, and route down the left side of the frame. All of those things make the clutch pull even lighter.

It's a noticable improvement, and well worth $18 for the 2009 OEM cable.

YZ250 clutch cables -

2001 thru 2003: 5HC-26335-10-00

2004: 5XF-26335-00-00

2005: 1P6-26335-00-00

2006: 1P6-26335-50-00

2007 thru 2010: 1P6-26335-90-00

Visually, I can't detect any difference between the 2006 and 2008 cables, but that just means something must have changed 'inside'.

The effort seems the same between the two bikes, but the cables aren't new on either bike. :banana:

One other piece that effects clutch pull is the rod running through the case. In this drawing its part number 23.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=282920&manufacturer=6&category=3&year=2006&model=6858

It needs to be smooth and non-mushroom looking on the ends. It is hard metal, so a knife sharpening stone works well. Once you smooth and polish it once, it tends to stay that way.

• 3 years later...