will not transfer power to the rear wheel

Before you ask, yes the chain is on.

quick synopsis - son was riding in the mud with his TTR-125 when the rear wheel caked up with so much mud it wouldn't turn. We pushed it to dry ground and cleaned the mud out. cranked it up, pulled in the clutch, popped it in first, released the clutch, and nothing happened. As if it was stuck in neutral or the clutch was being held open. You could rev it all day and nothing would happen.

Inspected clutch cable, seemed fine. Inspected gear shift lever and was getting movement up and down into all gears. Burned up clutch???? Well moved it into the shop and removed the clutch cover, inspected the clutch components and all seemed within tolerances. While in there I inspected the drive sprocket shaft and was getting rotation on both sides of the casing. also while in there I inspected the gear shift linkage and it was actuating throughout the range of the transmission with no problems, however, when you put the transmission in any gear you are still able to rotate the front drive sprocket, as if the bike was in neutral. Strange indeed..... Looks like I may have to crack the casing open to inspect the shift tumbler. Before I did that I wanted to see if any of you folks may have run into this before and if so, what the fix may have been. I would appreciate any constructive input or even stabs in the dark on this one. Thanks much and safe riding.

It most likely is a blown transmission. Sorry about the bad news. Not too uncommon and can be expensive. I personally havent had problems (fingers crossed, touching wood etc etc) but my friendly dealer has done a few. You appear to have covered all bases. Any burnt clutch smell and what oil? Car oils that have super slippery additives can cause slipping clutches in bikes but it seems the clutch is "driving" (input shaft) if you can click through the gears but get no drive on the sprocket output shaft.