28 dollar ngk spark plug...lol really?

hey everyone .... i have a 2000 rm 250 and the original plug is the NGK 6918B-7... and a 28 bucks a pop is the cheapest i can find this plug.... kinda sux... is there any other cheaper plugs that will not harm the sensative electrical on this bike? ive heard NGK br8eg plugs work great but id like to hear from 99-00 rm owners that have used a different plug with no problems? why is this plug so much...? thanx guys :banana:

Not a 99-00 owner, but on my 04, I have used the BR8EG, BR8EIX, BR8ES, and BR8EVX. They all work fine but the EIX and EVX seem to last a little longer and run a little better to me. Friend of mine has a late 90's and runs a BR8ES and has no problems.

i have a 99. its supposed to take the super expensive plug just like your 00.

i have ONLY run BR8EG's in the bike since i have gotten it.

apparently on the 125's they had problems with the grounding strap breaking off from vibration and trashing the engines. this was of course with a modded engine and a pro rider at the helm. so suzuki had ngk make that plug for all of their bikes for those years.

you will be fine with any of the BR8 type plugs. i have litterally put 50-100 hrs on a plug of hard racing and WFO dune riding and have never had an issue

The special plug(lol) was required from 96 on. I would consider the type of riding you do before making a decision on heat range. I have had conflicting information, but I run BR9EG in all conditions and have no problems. You have to be careful the 8 can be too hot depending on jetting and conditions. Hope this helps

Back when I had my old 98 RM125, I went to the local Suzuki dealer and got a plug, it was $28 too. They said it was a special tipped NGK racing plug, gold tipped or something like that. It was a waste of money, the regular fine tipped racing plugs perform about the same in my experience and they are around $5. I think I used a BR8EG.

heat range is a about personal choice, stick with what works, if you wanna err on the safe side go to a cooler heat range like the 8 or the 9.

I believe I read somewhere that the plug was used because the bike created harmonics with the plug and somehow it rattled the electrode loose... I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the electrodes on any other plug, so I see no reason to run that 28-30 dollar plug.

Neighbor Mitch has a 2000 RM125, and just this spring he began having a problem with the ground electrode coming off of his sparkplug, which caused it to run like it was jetted way rich all of the sudden. Cut out on the top end, badly. Removing the sparkplug revealed the problem...the ground electrode was gone...and lots of little dimples on the top of his piston and cylinder head. Put on a new standard NGK plug, and two days later, same thing. He put another standard plug in, and two days later, same thing, only this time the compression had dropped to the point where it would barely start. It became obvious to me at that time the bike had been running lean on he top end of the rpm range (the top front corner of the piston had eroded away some from the extreme heat of a lean running engine).

I removed his cylinder and piston to replace them, and noticed his upper rod bearing was going bad, so I had to split the cases to replace the connecting rod and main bearings/seals.

After putting it all back together, and going up one size on the carb's main jet, I also put in the $28 buck sparkplug, just as a precaution of electrode's health.

I'm happy to report his bike has been running perfctly so far (after about 3 months of him pinning it to the max every time I hear him riding) with no more sparkplug issues. I'd read up here in thumpertalk in the suzuki 2-stroke forum of others having this same problem, so I know his bike isn't the only suzuki with the sparkplug problem. The special $28 plug has the electrode welded on more securely, and there's no bend in the electrode, for added strength.

Well worth the added security on these suzuki's, IMO.

Randy