oil leaking between the cases

oil leaking between the two middle cases on my XR600 the only alternative is to disassemble the whole motor and split the cases.

or does someone else have a better idea?

I really dont want to go this route, am sure it will cost big $$$$$$$$.

So, am thinking of only fill it with oil before I go riding because filling it only leaks out when its parked.

thanks

Splitting the cases is not that big of a deal. It just seems daunting. As far as expense goes, if you dont need to rering it or anything, you are really only looking at a gasket kit and a few other odds and ends. If the motor's due for freshening up, then this is an ideal time to look at piston, cam, etc... Even at that if you do the work yourself, it is not over the top expensive. Piston, cylinder bore, cam, camchain, gasket kit, camchain tensioner... pretty much the list of stuff you might need. If the countershaft splines are looking shaggy, replace it while you are at it.

Any of the half-@$$ed fix its will hold up great until you are 50 miles from home... then it will start spewing oil like the Exxon Valdez. If you do the jury rig, never ride alone and always carry a tow strap.

Splitting the cases is not that big of a deal. It just seems daunting. As far as expense goes, if you dont need to rering it or anything, you are really only looking at a gasket kit and a few other odds and ends. If the motor's due for freshening up, then this is an ideal time to look at piston, cam, etc... Even at that if you do the work yourself, it is not over the top expensive. Piston, cylinder bore, cam, camchain, gasket kit, camchain tensioner... pretty much the list of stuff you might need. If the countershaft splines are looking shaggy, replace it while you are at it.

Any of the half-@$$ed fix its will hold up great until you are 50 miles from home... then it will start spewing oil like the Exxon Valdez. If you do the jury rig, never ride alone and always carry a tow strap.

It doesn't sound like from his post this is a drastic leak..

If it was that bad, I wouldn't recommend riding 50 miles deep into some trails :banana:

Like Creeky alluded to you might have a bash of the case and not a leaky gasket. If it is a gasket, try tightening the case bolts. You could get lucky and it is just loose. If the case is cracked from an impact JB weld can be a permanent repair. If it is a gasket try RTV. It have worked form in the past. Be sure to apply the RTV a few inches past where you think the leak is.