Is the WR for me?

Well, currently I'm riding a TTR 250 and I really like it...BUT, I need/want more. Don't get me wrong. The TTR is serving me greatly, but I can see where I'm eventually going to need something different.

Problem....I'm 5'5 and had to put a lowering link on the TTR to make it rideable for me. I've heard the WR is an incredibly tall bike. Is the electric start the only reason why I would really go with the WR over the YZ250F?

I'm just trying to make the best decision possible and weigh all the other options out there for me. If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I've recently begun riding in harescrambles and doing pretty well, but I have also ridden in a women's MX race and enjoyed that as well...so, I need a bike that will work okay for both (I don't do big jumps...just small ones!)

So...advice please?

Thanks!!

If you don't need the lights (not for scrambles or MX), and can live without the e-start (03's start really easy with the lever) then I'd get the YZ. The WR weighs about 20 Lbs more than the YZ, and you have to do some mods to make the WR more YZ like.

As far as the height is concerned, shortening it shouldn't be too hard. It is kinda tall. I'm 5' 11" and I gotta reach a little depending on which trail I'm on. You might want to research a lowering link for the rear before you make your decision.

Id have to say to get the WR. I havent rode a YZf but my WR tares up the trails like nothing else. My dad has a RMX250 and my WR smokes it. The power is great in the woods and suspention is great. I came off a TTR-225 to the WR and felt comfortable riding the WR. It takes some getting used to (the seat hight)and the power, speeking of power this thing seams like it has a powerband in 2nd gear when it rev's about half way it just starts taren it up even more. but as soon as you learn how to deal with it the bike is great. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm not much taller than you. I've ridden the TTR-225, KDX 200, KDX 220, my hubbies KTM SXC 400 & YZ 250 and we just bought me a WR250F '03. It's going to be quite a bit lighter than that monstrous TTR 250. I should know, I had to push an acquaintances and it's a hog. I really like the WR250F, but you would have to do some conversions to it. Hence, my reason for being here at TT. ๐Ÿ™‚

I came from a similar situation making the switch from a TTR250 to a WR250. Wow, what a difference! I live in Norther Alberta, Canada and we have some great tight singletrack and sand dunes. Although the TTR was a lot of fun, there is absolutely no comparison between the two. The power in the WR is amazing. I ride in areas with lots of climbs and there is absolutely no need for shifting around. I tend to ride quite a bit in second and I can keep it there knowing it will pull me through anything. But, the most enjoyable part of the WR is the suspension. You get spoiled with that beautifull travel and have to get back on the TTR periodically to appreciate what you have. I'm 5'10" and find the bike about the right height but you certainly don't notice the difference when riding. I would certainly go for it! You will really enjoy the bike. Cheers, Jiri

I'm 5'5 as well and bought the '03 WR250F and yes it's tall. However since I weigh about 145lbs I checked the sag. Had 10mm to spare and still stay in spec. Tweaking this helped quite a bit actually. Beyond that my view was who cares, I ride the trails and it's never flat anyway. Besides the electric start really helps in tough situations!

Some can give or take the AL frame, but if you are short, this is where the CRX will make up purchasing ground over the WR which really wasn't thought out well for average size riders. The WR's are built for people 6' or better. You can get use to the height if moving at a good pace, it's just the gnarly slow stuff that shows how the WR blows(for height impaired of course ๐Ÿ™‚).

I think the CRX will be out in Oct. Don't quote me. Just work the TTR till next season, save some money now, and buy for the summer.