Clutch - did i smoke it?

Yesterday I climbed a long steep loose technical hill in 3rd gear. I am pretty sure I smoked my clutch because I could smell it.

08 CRF450R

So my question is what do I have to replace?

Can I just replace the friction plates?

Should I try the steel plates (cheaper)?

I would like to keep the clutch pull as easy as possible.

My clutch worked fine for the remainder of the ride, should I even bother replacing anything? Maybe just an oil change?

I don't want to buy anything because it's a new bike.

I ran up on three ranch dogs staring at me, I froze and stalled the bike while climbing. I got my bike started and hauled it out of there but I didn't notice I was in the wrong gear.

Thanks in advance.

Agree if it is working fine and not grabbing an oil change can work wonders.

I have goe for steel plates over alloy as they are a tad heavier which is good for me in the tight ST stuff.

• Like 1

Start your bike, put it in second or third, stand on the rear brake and slowly let out the clutch. If the bike keeps running with a bit of throttle, then you will need a new clutch, not really any choice there. Also, when your clutch is going out it will usually slip in tall gears, and feel like your rear tire is breaking loose, only no roost behind you. Chances are, if the only indication you have that your clutch is bad is smell (probably smelled burning antifreeze), you do not need a clutch. As noted, you will not smell the clutch. These clutches take a tremendous amount of abuse, and alot of 4 stroke riders I know don't seem to take advantage of that fact.

If it needs a clutch, going with steel plates will make some changes. First, it adds rotational weight, and acts like a fly wheel weight (rev slower, stall less). Also, they last forever--well, at least a very long time. Next time you will only replace the fibers. Finally, they don't leave all the aluminum in your oil. Instead of having that grey, beat oil, your oil will come out remarkably clean. I would go with steel.

• Like 1