XR650R or 630R

:thumbsup:Ive made my decision. Ive ruled out the 650L and the DR. I realize the major differences between the 650R/600 and i am still not decided. Im leaning towards the 630R because of the plastic tank, no radiators, price and simplicity and because in Australia there is a huge aftermarket selection and cult following. what are your thoughts? :banana:

i had a xr650L 1999 that bike was indistructable and fast once i took off the emisions shit and put a super trapp and a set of dirt bike tires 100mph on highway best bike i ever had and cheap

Here's the deal....both bikes have their plusses and minusses. I'd suggest you try and ride both bikes and determine which one feels better to you. You're asking for other peoples opinions and we all know that opinions are like a$$holes...everyone's got one....and they usually stink. :banana:

Ride them both (if possible) and make an informed decision based on your wants and needs. :eek:

Here's the deal....both bikes have their plusses and minusses. I'd suggest you try and ride both bikes and determine which one feels better to you. You're asking for other peoples opinions and we all know that opinions are like a$$holes...everyone's got one....and they usually stink. :banana:

Ride them both (if possible) and make an informed decision based on your wants and needs. :eek:

this a-hole says good point ­čśë

I have both bikes. A stock compression uncorked XR600R and an uncorked XR650R. The throttle response on the XR650R is certainly more impressive, but the XR600R is super smooth and friendly. Both bikes are stump pulling tractors.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. But the argument for simplicity of an air cooled motor is a non-issue. I like liquid cooled. When jetted right, it never boils over, even when grinding 1st gear slow on a hot day. The XR600R will get a little warm in the same conditions, with 275+F oil temps.

Anyway, I guess I don't have much to add. I love both bikes. They are tons of fun to go fast, in a straight line, but I'd prefer a lighter bike for the single track.

If you realize the major differences between the 650R and the 600R, then it really boils down to what you want and how much you are prepared to pay. The 650 is, what, two generations younger than the 600. In order to make the 600 go anywhere close to the 650 you'll need a lot of money and in the end the frame and suspension will be the limiting factors. You could beef up the suspension but can't see doing much to the frame...

Simplicity on the other hand goes the other way round and an old school air-cooled thumper is... well... simpler. Having said that, I can't see how much more difficult it would be to service and maintain a watercooled bike. The addition of a cooling circuit isn't exactly rocket science. And both bikes are Hondas so not a lot is expected to go wrong with them. This, of course, is particularly true for the 600, which has been around since the earth cooled, but the 650 too has been proven to be a robust bike.

From your post, I think that if you ride both bikes side to side, you'll prefer the 650. That is unless you want the other, "side-" qualities of the 600 (old school, cult following etc)...

Just my thoughts...

I do hope you enjoy whatever you get.

M.

I have both bikes. A stock compression uncorked XR600R and an uncorked XR650R. The throttle response on the XR650R is certainly more impressive, but the XR600R is super smooth and friendly. Both bikes are stump pulling tractors.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. But the argument for simplicity of an air cooled motor is a non-issue. I like liquid cooled. When jetted right, it never boils over, even when grinding 1st gear slow on a hot day. The XR600R will get a little warm in the same conditions, with 275+F oil temps.

Anyway, I guess I don't have much to add. I love both bikes. They are tons of fun to go fast, in a straight line, but I'd prefer a lighter bike for the single track.

x2, if you have the option get both, they are the 2 greatest thumpers of all time. otherwise ride both as close as possible together and buy the one you prefer, YOU CANT GO WRONG :banana:

I was in the same boat as you about 3 years ago, except I had the 630 and was considering the 650R.

I have very fond memories of the ol 630 but my 650R is in another league altogether.

If your prone to crashing and think your likely to wreck your bike's cooling system, I would probably stay away from bikes altogether. Life is too short to spend your time recovering from crashing.

However, if you can stay on the bike, life is too short to not ride the mighty 650R, it's just too much fun.:banana:

650R any day of the week, unless a 630 dropped from the sky, then I would trade it up to a 650R.