Tools for spliting the cases?

So i am going to be take apart the engine on my kx250f that i just bought, it needs a new crankshaft. I am thinking about doing the repairs all myself

What tools are needed to split the cases, and how easy is it the replace the crank and bearing and seals?

you splitting the case on that 06yz250f? check out the vidz that guy posted in the yamaha section, it shows it all step by step and list the tools

haha nah dude, i just bought a kx250f that needs a new crank. Glad i dint have to on the yz250f. Just got that one up an running today and it runs great.

I found out kawasaki requires a special tool called a crankshaft jig. Idk if other bikes need these too but its around 150 bucks, i might just pay my friend with all the tools to do it

Splitting the cases is easy and often, no case splitter is needed. Removing and installing the bearings is another matter. No hammering. A press sometimes can remove all of them, sometimes you need a blind puller. These tools can be a pricey. A good bearing puller set is about $500.00. To intall, often you can heat the case to about 350 in an oven, put eh bearings in a zip lock bag in the freezer for a few hours and the bearings will drop in. Make sure you know which side goes in first. If the bearing does not drop in immediately, be ready with the correct bearing setting tools or the bearing can 'set' part way in. Then you will have to have a press you finish the job. Seals can be put in merely using a socket, using great care, or better still, a bearing tool to set it squarely.

This is an excellent tool from splitting cases and pushing cranks from cases and only $60:thumbsup:

tus_07_cra_cas_spl.jpg

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&priceRange=allPrices&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webTypeId=140&webCatId=22&brandId=294&prodFamilyId=17167

The jig is used to keep teh crank true during installtion, never used one.

Tusk does offer a crank installer ($60), but it will not work on the cranks that use the clip to hold the primary gear on. Hoping they make an adpater, but have not found one or came up with a home made fix. So for now I freeze the crank and drop it in a heated right side case, then use the tool to pull the left side on.

tus_07_cra_pul.jpg

Also have a blind bearing tool ($80), works for tranny and wheel bearings, but not big enough for some mains. I use the oven and they just fall out or tap out with a rubber mallet. Hot and cold method for bearing installtion. Presses and cases scare me :banana:

tus_08_bea_rem-1.jpg