Durango/Silverton

Hey folks. I have a trip planned next week that takes us up through Durango and Silverton. We are looking for some local knowledge of the area. We plan on being through on aug 11-12. We all race the local hare scramble series and are mid pack b riders.

If there is a place to point us to get started at least for some info, that would be great.

are your bikes plated? someone else is posting up about a ride on

august around the silverton area that i am trying to free up to go/show around a bit on. Look that one up, i think he showed the intended trails and it looked like a pretty good day!

I don't have plates for this particular bike....but have been known to swap them onto it (250x).

I'm sure we could rig up plates onto the other 2 bikes as well- but we are looking to keep it legal and set a good example (we are travelling with my buddy and his 15 year old son).

If we don't have plates, what would you suggest?

We will be coming from Cloudcroft NM are en route to the Aspen/Taylor Park area- looking for a spot to stop for a day or 2 on the way that's got something to offer. We figured Durango/Silverton was a good bet, heard good things about the area.

around Durango mtn resort you could get lots of riding around Hermosa Park, Bolan Pass, east fork, etc.

If you want some awesome open incredible mindblowing riding and you are heading on to Taylor, plan on spending a day at Flattop just southeast of Montrose, runs at the base of the hills there all the way towards Delta. Sick, Sick, Sick. Ditches, singletrack, open roads, massive hill climbs, play areas, just an incredible area for playing! You won't get bored in a day, maybe a little disoriented and lost, but not bored! Plus we have been in a massive monsoonal rain cycle lately (feels like Portland) so staying lower and warmer will be better currently. Either way, most storms have been rolling in in the afternoon, so plan on getting out early to make the most of it!

okay, another option, on most people's must do lists would be Imogene Pass. You can park just south of Ouray, off the first switchback and ride the dirt road up from there. You can explore up into Yankee Boy Basin and then ride over Imogene Pass into Telluride. Being unplated and underage, i would only ride down a block or so, park on a side street and walk down to main street, which is only another block or two. tour around, find some food, and head back over. Makes for a decent ride, not overly long, but depends on group abilities. You will take lots of photos! It is very scenic and brings you over a 13,000 ft pass. As stated earlier, lots of afternoon thunderstorms so go early. Being at 13,000 ft with lightning can be very scary! Then go ride Montrose the next day. You can also look up Peach Valley, which Flattop connects to, but Flattop parking lot is closer since you will be heading east out of Montrose going to Taylor Park. Hope that helps!