xr 200 Rear wheel bearing replacement

Hey guys, I sold (sorta atleast) my XR 200 to a buddy, and the rear wheel bearings are finally too far gone and need to be replaced.

I got the brake drum side bearing out no problem, but I can't for the life of me get the sprocket side one out. We've been beating on it with the largest sledge hammers conceivable and it still won't budge.

I noticed that the sprocket side bearing appears to have some aluminum ring ontop of that. I've been assuming that should slide out with the bearing?

Am I missing something here, or should I just give up and find somebody with a press?

The small holes in the ring are for a spaner wrench that is used to unscrew the retainer.

The bearings are 6303 (47mm OD x 17mm ID) available at any commercial bearing supply for a fraction of the cost at a dealer, just ask for 6303 sealed bearings.

With the retainer out the bearing can be driven out from the opposite side with a long driift.

when installing the new bearings apply force only to the outer race, I use a large socket. Then check for free rotation before installing the wheel.

I thought that retainer might be threaded! I tried finding some pictures of it, but the only one I found on ebay didn't appear to have any threads. Thanks a bunch! I assume its just a normal right hand thread? Hopefully I didn't damage it.

I've actually had a whole wheel bearing kit with all the seals waiting to go in. I noticed that when I got the brake side bearing out, there were a couple of hub seals missing, and the bearing was missing a seal as well. Probably why it got destroyed.

Edited by Lead Head

I always use sealed bearings because of their longer life and the added cost over unsealed is negligable. If you use sealed bearings the OEM hub seals are not needed but they do make good dust shields. Chain side bearing is almost always the one that fails.

Although you already have your bearing kit considier this next time you need wheels bearings. There are several grades and cost points in bearings, buying high grade, or high cost, for wheels is a waste because the speeds are low and precision clearances are not needed. I've paid as little as $4 each mini bike sealed wheel bearings at industrial bearing suppliers, and as high a $8 for larger sizes used on MX bikes; check the yellow pages.

Yeah these new bearings are sealed, old ones weren't, but the kit has some other seals with it too. Not sure where they go, as my wheel didn't have old ones to take out:bonk: Here is a picture of the brake side bearing, I wonder why it failed?:banana:

33y24nq.jpg

And trust me. I'm not a stickler for getting the best bearings. I ran $2.00 bearings in my minibike. They actually lasted for quite a while before failing catastrophically at about 30MPH. Put it this way, I felt a thump and the 5HP Briggs revved up. I looked to my right and there was my rear wheel rolling along the side of me:lol: