2007 DRZ400s valve clearance

One day I noticed my bike was a lot harder to start than normal. Second time noticed it was even harder, and third time since then didn't start at all.

Tested to see if I was getting spark. Yes.

Pulled the rotator nut plug and a whole bunch of gas and oil poured out.

I checked the valve clearance, and got 20,18 for the exhaust valves, and 18,18 for the intake valves. My 2002 manual says ex. 20-30, and intake 10-20. But it looks like someone made marks on the cam covers, over each one which say 18. Is the clearance different for a 2007 s than 2002?

I'm at 15000 miles. Thinking about rebuild with BB kit, and new valves and springs. When replacing the valves, do you need any head work done at a machine shop?

I'm just a little thrown off by the marks. I'm seeing 4 marks that say 18, I'm reading 18mm. Im first owner, it's only been to the shop once for it's 500

mile maintenance. They didn't tell me they checked the valves. I wonder if they did, or are the marks on the camshaft caps from the factory? Either way, why do they say 18 for exhaust valves which should be 20-30?

drain your oil and measure how much comes out.

If the oil was high enough to come pouring out I am guessing your petcock and float needle are leaking which has flooded your crankcase with gas.

Do no attempt to run until you change oil. Run gently a short while and then change again.

The o-ring in the vacuum controlled petcock needs changing (you may be able to just turn it over). The carb needs to come off and check the condition of the float needle.

I'm just a little thrown off by the marks. I'm seeing 4 marks that say 18, I'm reading 18mm. Im first owner, it's only been to the shop once for it's 500

mile maintenance. They didn't tell me they checked the valves. I wonder if they did, or are the marks on the camshaft caps from the factory? Either way, why do they say 18 for exhaust valves which should be 20-30?

If they did mess up and set the exhaust to 0.20mm and 0.18mm you are still in great shape because they haven't changed. Clearances tighten up as the valves wear. The one is ok and the other just barely tight.