Knee Braces....I NEED INFO URGENT!!!

I saw the doctor today - he told me what I already knew. 6 weeks ago, when I spun out, I destroyed my ACL. Surgury will be required to fix it. I will shortly post a separate thread about that question, so please, only knee braces on this thread!! ๐Ÿ™‚

I know I could pull a search, and I have, but I want new, up to date information on ANYONE who has knee braces.

What kind, model, accessories you have.

CTI2s?

Asterisks?

DonJoys?

Townsends?

Others?

Custom?

Off-shelf?

When I went to Budds Creek Sunday, I took a hard look at the CTI2's. Impressive.

The othopedic guy that measured me up for the brace, showed me a custom DonJoy. The Donjoy did not appear to be as well built or well designed for heavy usage. He was pushing the DonJoys though (he sees them alot).

However, there is a difference between "educated" what works, and "in-the-field" what works. I want opinions. new, up to date opinions (why I started this thread instead of just usingthe search. somthing could happen in a month that changes someome's opinion).

I am leaning towards the CTI2's, with a Patella cup. I just like the design of the frame (sturdier looking) and it wraps a little nicer than the DonJOy's from what I saw.

I need to let them know tomorrow, so PLEASE, HURRY!!!!!

I have the Don Joy Armours with the knee and shin protectors and took a major digger. The digger broke my femur in three places but my knee was fine. I know that if I didn't have the brace on my left knee would be completly destroyed. I am really glad I was wearing them. They are super comfortable and are strong enough to protect the knee of a 230lb guy flying through the air from a 3rd gear get off, I tested the strength and firmly believe in them.

Just my .02

๐Ÿ™‚

OK. I have the Asterisk, and to MY UNDERSTANDING RC and the rest of the crew on the tour run them 90% to be exact. The CTI2 is a great brace, however can you afford 2g's? I love my asterisk and they have lateral support as well as a patella cup. If your insurance is paying for the CTI2's get them...they are "studier." However, If your insurance is not paying then get the asterisk. Don Joy's...to me personally they don't even compare to the asterisk or CTI2's, however some guys on the board who run them would probably beg to differ.

No Astrisk/Don Joy war here but I have layed my DJ's next to my friends Astrisks and they are comparable. One has cables one has metal stops both apear to be strong and to do the job. Like I said up above I personaly tested the lateral strength of the DJ's. My crash wasn't a hyperextension one it was a side to side and my brace isn't even bent and I'm a big guy who was moving fast. If dthwishbkr looks at the DJ's that a lot of us TT'r bought a two months ago then he would be looking at a comparable product to the Astrisks/CTI's. The DJ's we bought are strong as F@#% and comfortable as hell.

๐Ÿ™‚

i have a pair of CTi2 braces. my orthopedic surgeon got me the CTi edge braces. they didn't fit.

i sent my race resume to Innovation Sports and was lucky. got THE real braces. i can see why the edge brace didn't work.

the important thing about braces is the way the brace fits on each side of your knee joint. the CTi2's are impressive. they have a double pivot to simulate the pivot of a human knee.

i can't speak for the other brands but the CTi2 braces are the primary knee brace of the pros.

CTi's 100% if you can get them. They fit great, hold up and heck if the 90% of the pro's have them then GET A PAIR! I looovveee mine. The marketing people are pushing * Cells cause they are more affordable to the average rider, Innovative Sports make *'s and CTi's. That how RC, DV and the rest can advertise for them and not get in trouble...they are the same company. I personally don't feel that they are build as well but that my $.02. I was luckly enough to have a DR that rode when I broke my leg and he RX them for me or I would have got the * Cell's.

Look Here for these, these are relatively new,although the company has been around since the early 70's, my doctor prescribed these for me, I am getting fitted tomorrow where I will get to see an example.

The company that sells these braces has a 30 day money back guarantee that if for ANY reason you dont like them they take them back.

The hinge systems are HAND MADE for each patient and each knee based on the modelling that the technician who comes out and measures you dials in.

I know that CTi and others are agressive in their marketing and thats why so many are out there now.

I am going to try these, I have never tried any other brand, but if I can get my money back and get anything else if I am not happy then at least they are worth a shot no?

I really love my CTI 2's. They've saved my knees a couple of times. It took quiet some time to get used to wearing them but now I don't notice them anymore and I wouldn't ride without them. I just feel so much safer. The only downside I see to knee braces is the hard times they put on the bike. My graphic kits and pants used to always be detroyed or at least completely striped. To avoid this, I taped a leather belt (one you use to hold your pants up) to the sides of the braces (bike side). No destructions anymore of the pants and graphics.

OK, I told the ortho guy to order me a CTI2 custom, Motocross version. I will get the patella cup later.

I hope it works out well for me though. I currently have surgery scheduled for Sept 4th, but I may want to wait until later......

Mine came with the cup??? Actually, mine came with extra neoprene inserts, adjusters, cups, sleeves, bags and everything else they had available for it. The doc asked what I wanted and I said for the price I want everything free that I could get.

NO need for my reply now! You made up your own mind, good for you! All I can say is I love the choice I made on the DonJoy Armors for BOTH legs. My son and I both are VERY happy with the fit, function and comfort they provide.

Good luck with your knees.

Might want to think about protecting the good one too!

Randy