Is This Possible? Incorrect Clutch Plate Order?

Hi

Last summer I bought a 2000 kx250 and not long after it died on me.:eek:

After spending too much money and practically getting a new motor (new top end, bottom end and clutch kit! :banana:) I'm wondering if the guy at the shop could have messed something up.

Is it possible for two of the clutch plates(or something else) to have been put in the wrong order and for the whole thing to still work? Basically.. the difference between 1st and 2nd gear is almost non-existent noise and power wise. I can hear a slight noise decrease when going from 1st into 2nd but the power and noise down low is very comparable. The change from this into 3rd is very dramatic.

Also, it seems like the bike sometimes drops into neutral from either 1st or 2nd when hitting the throttle as I'm about to start on an incline. This could just be me.. cuz I am a newb, but I can't always get it into neutral intentionally! ­čśë

So is this possible? Can parts have been placed in the wrong order and the whole thing to still work? As this is my first bike and I don't remember how it rode before it broke last year, I never really questioned it, until this past weekend. I just tried a friends 2001 cr 250 and it was a lot more powerful down low, despite mine having 6? h on the engine. Checking some specs on google... the bikes are very similar.

I have a 2000 kx250, and 1st and 2nd gear seem really close. I don't think there is anything wrong with your bike. Do you change the gearbox oil frequently? I started using ATF Type F after researching on TT, and other forums and mine shifts nicely. I'd recommend changing the gearbox oil after every couple rides.

Your bikes are normal. In the 99-01 KX 250s Kawasaki used a 1st gear ratio that is too close to 2nd IMO. I have around 4 of these motors and in every one of them I have installed a 94-98 1st gear. The 94-98 has the same trans ratios as the 99-01 BUT with a lower 1st gear, the other 4 gears are the same ratios.IMO this is the worst thing about the 99-01 bikes, hurts them as trailbikes.

Ed

Your bikes are normal. In the 99-01 KX 250s Kawasaki used a 1st gear ratio that is too close to 2nd IMO. I have around 4 of these motors and in every one of them I have installed a 94-98 1st gear. The 94-98 has the same trans ratios as the 99-01 BUT with a lower 1st gear, the other 4 gears are the same ratios.IMO this is the worst thing about the 99-01 bikes, hurts them as trailbikes.

Ed

That's a good idea, I might look into that this winter!