hare scramble tips

I'll start,

I find that If I'm racing an open section that then changes to a tight more tech section. I do better if I back of the pace and build it back uo as I find my rythme, this stops me over-shooting corners or crashing.

A lot of racing hare scrambles is about conserving your energy. Here are a few suggestions.

1. Take it easy on the first lap. I like to be in about third place off the start. The holeshot tends to just makes most people nervous. Guys are very aggressive in the first 15 minutes of the race and blow a ton of energy. But they start making mistakes fast. Don't waste energy trying to make a bunch of difficult passes early on, just stay in sight of the lead group and be patient. Pretty soon guys will be tired and passing will be much easier.

2. If you are stuck behind someone, don't mess around. Either pass him immediately or just relax and take it easy. If you can't pass right then, use it as a chance to rest, stretch out the fingers, etc. When you see your chance, GO! If you make it stick, you won't have to waste energy on several botched passes.

3. Ride at a pace that's safe and comfortable. Mistakes will kill you. Save your energy for times when you need to make a tough pass.

4. Run your suspension soft. It pays off in a long race on a rough track.

5. Wear vented gear to stay cool. I don't even wear a jersey most of the time, just my body armor. Also, I put ice in my camelback. Keeping your core temp down is important.

2. If you are stuck behind someone, don't mess around. Either pass him immediately or just relax and take it easy. If you can't pass right then, use it as a chance to rest, stretch out the fingers, etc. When you see your chance, GO! If you make it stick, you won't have to waste energy on several botched passes.

this one is key. if you stay on their ass, they will eventually let you pass or make a mistake. do not waste energy on passes. if they are ungodly slow and you're stuck behind them, feel free to make some noise.... but don't be a dick. be nice. you never know when the tables can be turned..

i think the start is crucial. getting a good start eliminates getting stuck behind a slow pack. getting stuck behind a slow pack can put you way back from the pack you'd rather be riding with....for example hard as hell to pass a pack of 4 slow riders in the tight stuff. very easy to pass them in the start..

#1, the start is critical, you do not want to get stuck behind a dust storm where the guys in front are pulling away because you can't see or be stuck behind a log jam or some fool who fell and is blocking the trail.

#2 if you catch someone don't follow, stay agressive, but smart and get past him.

#3 I push pretty hard and get my rest when I catch someone, sometimes its a short rest.

#4 do not crash, it's brutal on time and energy

#5 eat right and hydrate!

#6 work on drills

#7 start training with faster riders

#8 When training, ride fast for 1.5 hours, get in shape

#9 conditioning is so vital, if you're tired you can't keep charging and will make mental mistakes = lost TIME.

#10 stay agressive and smooth

#11 more drills, when not racing, work on technique and only go as fast as you can still maintain technique.

HYDRATE,HYDRATE,HYDRATE! Preload water! Start 3 days before the event drinking a gallon per day or more...yer gonna pee alot for the first 2 days but once your body fully hydrates you won't be going as often. And it will keep you strong and fight fatigue all race day. You'll be amazed how much better you feel and how loose and controlled you'll feel. You'll wonder why you don't always ride this well.

I haven't done any hare scrambles yet, but for enduros, I would always warm up before the race. Do some push ups, jumping jacks, stretch etc. This helped me with arm pump and also helps get your heart rate up. Nothing killed me more than pushing it to race pace without a slow warm up. Warming up helped me maintain and conserve energy. Also, as said before stay well hydrated before and during the race. This will not only help with your energy, but will also help prevent muscle cramping.