What Octane Fuel are you running

93 for me only. Why be cheap with a 2 gallon tank? I actually run 93 in my truck and car as well, one less problem to occur in the future. That's how I look at it. For the work you did I wouldn't put anything other then 93 . I don't see 91 often in my area.

As long as you have not up the compression 87 will work the best. Don't waist your money. Now I have a 470cc biult by Eddie , I live in california so 91 is the highest. Some times at the track ill put 100 in that's if I have money. But for stock compression motors 87 works great. Hell enjoy the fact you Have a bike that saves you money

As long as you have not up the compression 87 will work the best. Don't waist your money. Now I have a 470cc biult by Eddie , I live in california so 91 is the highest. Some times at the track ill put 100 in that's if I have money. But for stock compression motors 87 works great. Hell enjoy the fact you Have a bike that saves you money

+1

From what I've been told, if the compression is stock, the bike will run best at 87 octane. It won't run bad at 91 or 93, but it will run best at 87...this is especially true when riding at a higher elevation...so I've been told. I could be wrong.

I was wondering what you all are running in your bikes? I am just finishing up all the mods: 3x3, FCR MX, BB kit, Cams, Pipes, etc. Are you guys running 91 or 93? Anybody trying to run 87 in their modded bike?

Thanks for your input...

I always run the highest octane pump fuel available......

anything else the SM will get pinging/detonation....

Here in Australia I religiously use BP Ultimate 98 ...:banana:

If your motor doesn't ping on 87 then that will work fine. It will not run better or worse. Octane does not change the power output of a motor. It just prevents pre ignition. Running 93 in a motor that does not ping on 87 does nothing but cost you more money at the pump.

2003 DRZ S.. not stock,, VP 110 leaded required to keep it from pigging itself to death.

Quality fuel is as important and anything else.

octane rating go higher till you do not have pre ignition. Stop then, more is not helping.

Oxygenated fuels like VP U4.4 in a motor tuned for it, can make a little more power

Edited by E.Marquez

Run the lowest octane fuel you can without pinging. Any higher octane an you risk carbon buildup.

There is a great belief that "premium" fuel is "better" which is totally wrong. The octane rating is merely a rating of resistance to explode under pressure. High compression engines need it to not "ping"

here is some info.

http://www.bargaineering.com/articles/high-octane-gas-myth.html

here is a good one.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fact-or-fiction-premium-g

here is a WIKIPEDIA page about octane ratings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

-Zach

Edited by PhantomD

If your engine runs without pinging on one octane then running a higher octane (like race gas) is a waste of time. There is no increase in power with race gas, just a higher octane. Higher octane does not mean more power unless the engine needs it to run without pinging aka "pre-detonating"

There is a lot of marketing and misunderstanding with gas ratings, some research and you will be smarter! I promise.

Increasing the octane does increase the power...

Not by much, but it does increase it a bit...

More than anything though, it burns cleaner, and the engines run smoother...

Being in the UK though, the lowest octane I can get is 95...

Then occasionally you can get 98, 99 and I have seen 100 (only once though)

If my local petrol stations supplied 98, I think I might use it, but I am not travelling 15+ miles just for 98 octane...

Don't forget there are different methods to rate octane, and each method comes up with a different number.

Bottom line you want to waist money on gas just do it. Unless you have high compression low octane will work now in california. There is. 87. 89. 91. , when my drz400sm was stock motor 87 worked the best. Now I have a 470 built motor yes I use 91 only because the compression is higher. In my avalanche 87 is all it needs. Don't waist your money.