removing scratch/nick form lower fork tube

while doing my seals i put a small nick in lower fork tube about 1.5 inches from bottom . is there any way to remove nick and make new again? no leak yet . i guess i'll find out next ride. any info would be great.

I had this same problem on my trials bike. Only i fell down a 8ft wall at the CO. national 🙂. I scracthed the H*ll outta my left fork tube. I used a Knife sharpining stone VERY VERY Lightly and it worked perfect! Good luck :D,

MotoXXX

Well I had the same situation on my YZ, and I just left it. As long as its not pertruding (sp.) per-say, you will be ok. Just check it after every ride and clean it. You could also buy another tube for around $90. Or you could wet-sand it like mentioned above.

I just had the same problem a week or two ago. would keep blowing out my fork seal, I just used 1000 grit to get rid of the lip and then 1500grit, make sure you just smooth it and not put a scallop in it also make sure you wet it. mine is fine now. It looks a little scuffed but it does work. no way will you get the same finish again.

If the nick is a little deeper or larger than a scratch, then sanding alone may not work. There's a trick that we use at the mountain bike shop I race out of if one of us takes a chip out of a stanction tube. When the tube is chipped, sanding the edge of the chip isn't going to cut it. The seal will slide over the edge of the chip but it then falls into the chip and pops back out as the fork slides up and down. This lets fluid leak out (everywhere). I've emptied an entire fork tube of its suspension fluid all over my front rotor in one run at a race once (the finish was very fast).

So, once we get back to the shop, we sand the edges of the chip, clean the chip out with some type of cleaner (disc brake cleaner or acetone). We then fill in the chip with aluminum epoxy paste. It's a lot easier to work with and sand smooth than something like JB Weld. We can easily get a season out of a stanction with this type of repair. Better than buying a new stanction if the money is tight.

Ya I had a nick that was raised enough to cut my thumb while I was working with the tube. While I had the tube in the vice, I just took a piece of 2000 grit wet or dry and used it like a shoeshine rag on the tube. I just kept going over it until I could no longer feel the nick with my thumb nail. The nick was about half way through the stroke too, so if it was gonna leak, it would leak right way. I rode it Sunday, no leak.

I also noticed something thats go me thinking.....again....

I noticed the leg I sanded, had less sticktion that the other. Im toying with the idea of sanding both the entire sliders with 2000 grit paper. The surface of the fork leg is only part you can really change, and I dont see how a NiT plate job lowers the friciton in the seal. You have to reduce the seals adhearance to the polished surface somehow to reduce the sticktion.