04 CR125 vs. 05+ YZ125?

Now i know as soon as you read the title, your gonna think to yourself, what is this kid, retarded? Now i know all over TT everyone raves how much more powerful the YZ is over the CR and how gutless the CR is. I know that much

BUT, I hear the CRs of this era handle REALLY good, which appeals to me a lot, sense i can rail pretty decently on a supermini, i dont think giving up a little power will be a big issue. So, how much better do these CRs handle then the aluminum frame YZ?

Also, the CR im looking at is piped, has reeds, jetted, and was owned by a really fast kid (pulls holeshots in schoolboy) so with those mods, would the power be right up there with a yz?

If the CR does handle better then the YZ im might pull the trigger on this modded 04, if not ill probably just keep looking for a yz. Opinions?

Now i know as soon as you read the title, your gonna think to yourself, what is this kid, retarded? Now i know all over TT everyone raves how much more powerful the YZ is over the CR and how gutless the CR is. I know that much

BUT, I hear the CRs of this era handle REALLY good, which appeals to me a lot, sense i can rail pretty decently on a supermini, i dont think giving up a little power will be a big issue. So, how much better do these CRs handle then the aluminum frame YZ?

Also, the CR im looking at is piped, has reeds, jetted, and was owned by a really fast kid (pulls holeshots in schoolboy) so with those mods, would the power be right up there with a yz?

If the CR does handle better then the YZ im might pull the trigger on this modded 04, if not ill probably just keep looking for a yz. Opinions?

The 05+ CR125s were great, much better than the bikes of old and the fact they're in the 3rd gen frame makes them near perfect. (Pre 05 and the bikes were completely gutless, electric PVs FTL... that and quite a few other ailments).

Now, the 2006+ YZ125s have the SSS goodness, best suspension out of the box stock, and a nice neutral frame geometry, and a potent motor. So really, just depends on what you want. The Honda has hands down the best craftsmanship, better frame, great suspension, and good motor (05+), but the Yammi is damn solid. Hard choice to make.

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/motocross/141_0502_2005_honda_cr125r_yamaha_yz125/index.html

That review sums it up best I suppose.

Edit, and wait... you're going to go from a 144 to 125?? Neither bike will feel as potent (but both will be much, much easier to ride to their potential).

I dont have experience with the yz, but i do own a 05' cr, i think i'm sorta near your size ( 5'7" 120 w/o gear) and i also came off a big wheel mini haha.

If you're used to a 2 stroke you shouldn't have problems with getting the cr to go. I'm assuming the cr you're looking at is a local riders, maybe tell him ur interested in it and see if you can't take a few laps on it.

lol thats what I said once I posted and re-read his sig line... It's a step backwards.

Hahaha I know huh?

To the OP, How about you fix your 144? and let me be clear...

EVERY 125/144 HANDLES AMAZING. There is no "better" handling 125 because they all feel like mtn bikes compared to any other bike. Handing is NOT I repeat NOT your highest priority when choosing a 125. Your highest priority should be POWER.

Don't you have a 144sx? Why are you looking at a 125 now?
lol thats what I said once I posted and re-read his sig line... It's a step backwards.
Hahaha I know huh?

To the OP, How about you fix your 144? and let me be clear...

EVERY 125/144 HANDLES AMAZING. There is no "better" handling 125 because they all feel like mtn bikes compared to any other bike. Handing is NOT I repeat NOT your highest priority when choosing a 125. Your highest priority should be POWER.

Everyone is gonna think im going backwards unless i step up to a CR500AF or something. Im not any faster on my 144 then a 125, my 144 hasn't been the most reliable thing on the block, and its suspension isnt my favorite. Thats my choice, sorry if i hurt your feelings.

So the 04 CR engine would be a lot slower than the 05+?

How is the suspension on the CRs, im assuming not as great as the SSS on the yamaha? Thanks for helpful opinions guys.

Everyone is gonna think im going backwards unless i step up to a CR500AF or something. Im not any faster on my 144 then a 125, my 144 hasn't been the most reliable thing on the block, and its suspension isnt my favorite. Thats my choice, sorry if i hurt your feelings.

How is the suspension on the CRs, im assuming not as great as the SSS on the yamaha? Thanks for helpful opinions guys.

It won't matter what we tell you your gonna do what you want to and that's about it.

But alas, your are 16:thumbsup:

Im asking for opinions between the CR and the YZ, not weather to stay on my current bike or not. Thanks but no thanks.

As much as I love my Honda's, the 2005 Yamaha will wax the 2004 Honda.

The mod Honda may come close to the stock YZ (unless you ride like Barcia), but put a little mod $ in the YZ and it can become a real rocket (I personally know Pro Circuit can make a killer '05 YZ with port & pipe). The 2005 Yamaha frame is the same as current and the suspension will be just as good as the 2010 with a simple revalve.

I agree the Honda turns a little better, but on the 125's the difference is minor. The Yamaha is lighter if I'm not mistaken and I know it handles well.

My money would be on the Yamaha if just between those two choices.

Well then it's a rider issue, not a bike issue. All you'll be doing is jumping down to a 125 and complaining you aren't as fast on it and wanting to go to a 250F and then you'd just repeat the whole process again.

Anyhow, yes the 04 and older motors are that bad... Beyond bad even.

The suspension on the CRs is great, love it on my CR250. The SSS is just a bit better STOCK, re-valve either and they're the same (from my experience anyhow). But the Showas on the 05+ CRs and CRFs is damn close to perfect (the suspension is the same on the 02+ CRs minus the changes that got them to perfection later on in the game (stacks and the like and minor chasis changes).

Im not saying its the bike. I just dont see eye to eye with it i guess. But from what im gathering here i shouldnt bother with the CR then? Or would a modded 04 engine be much much better than stock? I heard the jetting was horrible stock too, which im sure this 04 im looking at is jetted perfect.

Since the year you are asking about is an 04 cr then the yz would be the choice...But had it been an 05-07 cr then with a few mod $ you can make that cr raise pure hell...I know my son has one and I have done all the work to it and have currently beat and 04 and o6 yz along with an 05 crf 250x..

Im not saying its the bike. I just dont see eye to eye with it i guess. But from what im gathering here i shouldnt bother with the CR then? Or would a modded 04 engine be much much better than stock? I heard the jetting was horrible stock too, which im sure this 04 im looking at is jetted perfect.

I dunno man, I really would think twice about getting an 04 or older CR125. They're just that bad, but if he has modified the motor beyond bolt ons and jetting it might be worth it. But honestly, even an 04 YZ125 is leaps and bounds better than the 04 CR125, even with the 5 speed transmission.

Between the 04 CR125 and 05 YZ125 it's not even a contest, YZ hands down and then some.

With that said, ask to ride it and see how you like it and try and ride a YZ125 and see where you stand with both bikes.

lol, I think some of you are exaggerating a little bit. Unless the '04 is much worse than an '02 cr125 that I had, it really isn't THAT bad. But, if you could wait I would try to get a 2005+ cr125 if you really want a honda.

Compared to the other offerings out there, yes they are. But if it's all you know, then no it isn't "that" bad. :banana:

But then again, it's up to how he responds to it and he's going to test ride it so that'll help him make the decision.

I just sold my 04 CR and I already regret it. It handled really good and had good susp.

With that being said, yes, the engine isent the best and the jetting took some work but it wasent that bad and it was fun to ring out.

BUT, as much as I love Honda as well, unless its a steller deal, I would opt for the YZ or the 05-07 CR like everyone is saying.