maintance on a 2stroke

I recently got in to dirt bikes and dont know too much about them i picked up a 95 kx 250 2stroke and i was wondering what are some maintance tips to prolong my bikes life i got the bike on a good deal it runs vary strong and also how offten should u rebuild top/bottom end??? any tips would be nice thanks:thumbsup:

Bottom, rarely, but seeing as this is an older bike it might not be a bad idea to do a complete rebuild. However, if you don't want to spend a lot of money on this bike(which I wouldn't want to) pull the cylinder to see how the piston looks first though, have an experienced helper with you. If it looks good, then change the oil, mix some gas, and take off!

Clean the air filter and oil it, grease around the mating surface. Critically important. I clean the air filter and change oil after every ride typically.

I would do a compression test instead of tearing it down (probably looking for above 120-130 psi, less and it's pretty clapped out). You can also take off the pipe and look at the piston and the intake side of the cylinder with a flashlight. You can pull the magnito cover (left side, should have 3-4 bolts holding it in) and take hold of the magnito and see if there is any play up and down, that will tell you the condition of the left side main bearing--it shouldn't have any play.

As for the rest of the bike, there are several bearings that are typically ignored that will go to hell if you don't take care of them. Lubing them up can save alot of money. Take apart the linkage at the bottom of the rear shock. Every pivot point needs to be taken apart and lubed. Pull the swingarm bolt (have fun with that one--do searches if you need tips) and lube the bearings there. Take off the stearing stem (large nuts on top, under your bars) and lube the top and bottom bearings in there.

Clean the air filter and oil it, grease around the mating surface. Critically important. I clean the air filter and change oil after every ride typically.

I would do a compression test instead of tearing it down (probably looking for above 120-130 psi, less and it's pretty clapped out). You can also take off the pipe and look at the piston and the intake side of the cylinder with a flashlight. You can pull the magnito cover (left side, should have 3-4 bolts holding it in) and take hold of the magnito and see if there is any play up and down, that will tell you the condition of the left side main bearing--it shouldn't have any play.

As for the rest of the bike, there are several bearings that are typically ignored that will go to hell if you don't take care of them. Lubing them up can save alot of money. Take apart the linkage at the bottom of the rear shock. Every pivot point needs to be taken apart and lubed. Pull the swingarm bolt (have fun with that one--do searches if you need tips) and lube the bearings there. Take off the stearing stem (large nuts on top, under your bars) and lube the top and bottom bearings in there.

Pretty much sums it up:thumbsup: