Gas mileage

I seen some people saying they were getting 50 and 60 miles to the gallon with their DR's. I have a stock 08 DR650, 3.4 gallon tank and all I can get is 150 miles to the tank, counting the reserve. That is around 45 mpg. Sometimes less. So whats the general consensus on normal MPG?

It depends on your mods, driving habits, ect. I use my DR primarily as a commuter and usually get mid 50's until winter where it drops into the 40's. If I play in the mud it drops exponentially with the amount of fun I'm having. :banana:

I seen some people saying they were getting 50 and 60 miles to the gallon with their DR's. I have a stock 08 DR650, 3.4 gallon tank and all I can get is 150 miles to the tank, counting the reserve. That is around 45 mpg. Sometimes less. So whats the general consensus on normal MPG?

I bought my DR650 used with 6k miles on it.... it was bone stock. I never got the high mileage figures out of the BST that I've seen some people post here. But as mentioned above YMMV. Mine certainly does. :banana:

Edited by mx_rob

Ok figures about right then, I ride wide damn open all the time, how fast have you gotten yours? Mine tops out at 112....I would like to do the carb and airbox mods plus the exhaust but I can't do it myself and can't afford to pay someone to do it...so stock it stays I guess...

The carb and airbox mods are not hard to do with basic tools. Lots of information in this forum on how to do them. I currently have a modified stock carb on my DR, it runs much better than stock and still gets 47-48 mpg. It gets over 50 mpg if I take it easy. You might want to talk to this guy on here named Texas dr about finding the real secret to getting max speed out of a DR.

The carb and airbox mods are not hard to do with basic tools. Lots of information in this forum on how to do them. I currently have a modified stock carb on my DR, it runs much better than stock and still gets 47-48 mpg. It gets over 50 mpg if I take it easy. You might want to talk to this guy on here named Texas dr about finding the real secret to getting max speed out of a DR.

lmao:banana:

So, cutting up the air box and changing carb settings is a bad thing, considering fuel milage goes down and therer are endless tuning problems. :banana:

Seriously, the idle mixture screw and idle need to be set correctly, not just turning them this way and that.

So, cutting up the air box and changing carb settings is a bad thing, considering fuel milage goes down and therer are endless tuning problems.

Not always the case. Other than the small drop in mileage I experienced - which is more than worth it for tradeoff in performance and fun factor, btw - I've had zero tuning problems since doing the airbox mod and rejet with the aftermarket exhaust installed. Runs like a top, day in, day out.