Leaking gas tank

I would like to see if anybody knows what type of plastic material is used for gas tanks. My wife has a 99 KX 100 thats leaking and would like to try to plastic weld it first before dropping $180 on a new tank. Thanks ahead for the help.

I cut some plastic from the inside of my radiator shroud when I had a leak around the bolt insert on my KX tank. I ended up getting a new tank, my "patch" worked but that insert was stripped so as soon as I found a tank cheap on eBay I bought it.

one of my friends had a leaking tank. He tried welding it and using a plastic filler welding somthing...but in the end its really not a permanent fix. Do you really want to be back 30 miles and the weld cracks? Its still plastic, not metal

I used plastic weld on the tank on my snowmobile a few winters ago and got a good season out of it with no leaks before I sold the sled. Just make sure the area is dry before you apply the epoxy and let it dry completely and it should last a long time I would think. At minimum buy you a good chunk of time before you find a replacement if you want one.

Thanks for all the responses. I tried epoxy and it just doesn't seal. I looked for tanks on ebay but can never find one I even looked at a few yards but they never have the right one. It seems like the small year range for the 100's and 85's for those tanks are real odd balls. I have a plastic welder at home so I'm gonna try that tonight. If it comes out good and works I'll post a write up on it.

I would like to see if anybody knows what type of plastic material is used for gas tanks. My wife has a 99 KX 100 thats leaking and would like to try to plastic weld it first before dropping $180 on a new tank. Thanks ahead for the help.

Obviously you need to use something that is not affected by petroleum (gas/oil). Google "plastic gas tank repair" for answers...Once you find a suitable product try/test it prior to going out for the weekend trip.....

I searched and I found a product that puts a coating on the inside for gas tanks but even that didn't work. The best I found was doing the plastic welding but my biggest issue is finding out what type of plastic the tanks are made of. I need to know so I can use the same type of plastic welding rod.

I'm 99% sure they are polyethelene. You can tell by running a short bead in an out of sight spot and seeing if it will fuse in. I've welded a fair bit of plastic in my time and welded a buddies tank with a PE rod and it held for a few years. When welding PE you need to use an inert gas (I used argon from my TIG rig) and sand the rods and crack just before welding. I also tried to weld a crack around the petcock on a CR tank and it did not work for diddly. It seemed like something kept fuming out of the plastic; maybe oil from the premix. I tried various epoxies also on that tank. None worked.

• 1 month later...
just use a soldering iron to weld whats already there back together. very easy fix:thumbsup:
Soldering irons work well. I use both an old soldering iron for precision spot-work and a $8 torch (the black and orange one) from Harbor Freight for preheating and working on larger areas. Biggest thing is to use the same plastic you're trying to weld.
did the plastic welder work? thinking about buying one from harbor freight.
I bought one from HF and it was awful. Wouldn't hold temp, regulator was junk... returned it later that night. If you get anything there, as mentioned above the micro torch and an old soldering iron are all you really need.

When I installed the front bumper on my sled I kept all the plastic I cut off it. Slice those chunks into 3/8" strips and use that to fill in the weld.