Handlebars

Are you talking about the rubber mount through the top triple clamp of the forks or somewhere else? The piece that clamps down on the bars is metal on metal. I guess I am confused by what you said...

Sorry I meant that because husky doesn't use tapered cone rubbermounts through the top tripleclamp, the solid metal tob clamp becomes more important for strength. A one-piece top clamp improves strenght on tapered rubbermounts, too, but isn't as mandatory IMO. So, Yes, the one-piece top barclamp is important for strength.

I always used the replacement FBF top clamp, which came with MACHINED ALUMINIUM replacements for the rubber dampers, eliminating any chance for twisting but also making for more vibes/firmer feel. You can also use the aluminum on the bottom and rubber on top, a comfortable medium. Now that's confusing!

I believe the OP is referring to the think diameter crossbar on 7/8" bars. Fat bars do not use these as they have thicker cross sections and higher strength overall. Removing the crossbar on your 7/8" bars will risk bending them. I went to a fat bar solution to clear the clutter over my bar top clamp area (plus I raised my bars for an under bar damper and better standing comfort). My GPS sits over the top clamp. The cross bar limits were I can position the GPS and my roll chart holder and blocks view of the dash.

k7mdl, thanks for the clarification of my original question. Time to look at some fatbars. I'd like the bars about 1.5" taller than they are right now. Is it best to get the height from the bars, mount, or both? Also, what do all the bends translate to? The stock sweep and bend, etc are fine, just a bit short. I'm putting an order together pretty soon so I might as well toss bars into it.

So, my question again: what sort of fatbars best mimic the "feel" of stock?

• TT Sponsor

If you are indeed talking about the crossbar on 7/8 bars it is VERY neccessary. It keeps the smaller diameter bar from flexing to much and breaking. It is life threatening to remove this.

Sadly, I just had this same conversation with a customer who just bought a used bike. I told him he was risking his life if he removed it and he looked at me with a shocked expression. The lady he bought the bike from was selling it because her husband died on the bike- crossbar was removed and the bars were bent down towards the wheel from impact.

The only handlebar with a crossbar that I know of that is safe to remove and ride with is the Renthal Twinwall bar. Any other bar keepthe crossbar on!

Eric

Edited by Eric@ScottsPerformance
turns out I cant spell