Baja Designs Headlight Q's

OK, my Moose Species headlight I ordered has been on "backorder" for so long I'll probably have my AARP card before it arrives. I finally told the guy I ordered it from if it dont show up this time, I'm cancelling and want my money back.

Sooo, I've been looking at the standerd Baja Designs light assembly with the 55/60 H4 bulb and wanted to pick you guys brains for some more info. Is the glass lens fairly rugged for offroad use? Should I get the rock gaurd also or is it a waste of money and something I could easily fab myself? Is the light pattern sufficient for some street riding? I have the stock light (plastic lens) now with a PIAA 35/35 H7 I think(supposed to be the same output as 60/60 according to the add but I think its only slightly brighter than the stock bulb) in it and it sucks bad at night. Anything over 30mph is scary and whatever I get NEEDS to be a big improvement. Stock stator at the moment but have 200W RS one coming soon. Also need hi/lo beam so I'm still street legal. Thanks!!!

Thats what i had figured, i ordered one and its on the way. I wired in an led tail/brake light from wheeling cycle supply thats only like 1/2 a watt or so. I figured the extra wattage saved could help the head light some. if the dimming is annoying I will be getting a new stator in the future as well.

I have had a few of the BD lights on various bikes. The units are pretty decent but I really recommend a rock guard or something. The lenses are pricey and chances are you'll break one. I am currently using the stock stator and it works okay but it dims alot at idle. I have a moose stator ready to put in on the next oil change.

Thats what i had figured, i ordered one and its on the way. I wired in an led tail/brake light from wheeling cycle supply thats only like 1/2 a watt or so. I figured the extra wattage saved could help the head light some. if the dimming is annoying I will be getting a new stator in the future as well.

Don't sweat it...

Get the stator rewound (I personally use BajaD), and never worry... ever again if you have "enough" juice to run your accessories, or lighting.

In fact, put HID into that light and you've got a hell-uv-a setup. I know where you can get a dual filamented (dual burner) HID H4, that will work wonders in your new headlight (I recommend a ballast brace/mount) for the added weight... Imagine, Low and High beam HID... and using both low and high at the same time?! :banana: You'll see in the dark, like no other!

Just hooked up my Baja D. headlight last night. Nice improvement over what I had. :banana: I can definitly say a PIAA 35/35 bulb is NOT = to a 55w H4, not even close.

But, my high beam has a wierd pattern to it. It looks like it shines off to my left more than straight and has a dark spot in front of the bike. Low beam is great, good full pattern and centered. Could this be from the running light not being hooked up? This might be a dumb question but what fillament should be lit up for high beam? The bottom one so it reflects up? I cant tell by looking which one is shielded :eek:. Was just thinking maybe I had my wires crossed or something. IDK, maybe I need to adjust the height better.

Just hooked up my Baja D. headlight last night. Nice improvement over what I had. :banana: I can definitly say a PIAA 35/35 bulb is NOT = to a 55w H4, not even close.

But, my high beam has a wierd pattern to it. It looks like it shines off to my left more than straight and has a dark spot in front of the bike. Low beam is great, good full pattern and centered. Could this be from the running light not being hooked up? This might be a dumb question but what fillament should be lit up for high beam? The bottom one so it reflects up? I cant tell by looking which one is shielded :eek:. Was just thinking maybe I had my wires crossed or something. IDK, maybe I need to adjust the height better.

High beam is the shorter of the filaments in the bulb (closest to reflector)

... the running light (5W) doesn't do anything for light output. It's more or less, like a parking light.

That lens you have, is very tolerant of which style H4 bulb you use in it. However, I've had best of luck by trying different bulbs. Go get yourself a Sylvania Super-Star and you should love the output. PIAA bulbs are a joke, and nothing what they claim. Trust me on all this.

... when your ready for incredible light output, let me know. I see HID in your future. ?

High beam is the shorter of the filaments in the bulb (closest to reflector)

... the running light (5W) doesn't do anything for light output. It's more or less, like a parking light.

That lens you have, is very tolerant of which style H4 bulb you use in it. However, I've had best of luck by trying different bulbs. Go get yourself a Sylvania Super-Star and you should love the output. PIAA bulbs are a joke, and nothing what they claim. Trust me on all this.

... when your ready for incredible light output, let me know. I see HID in your future. :eek:

I'll try one of those, thanks JAT!! :banana:

You'll be the 1st to know if I decide to go HID.

But, my high beam has a wierd pattern to it. It looks like it shines off to my left more than straight and has a dark spot in front of the bike. Low beam is great, good full pattern and centered. Could this be from the running light not being hooked up? This might be a dumb question but what fillament should be lit up for high beam? The bottom one so it reflects up? I cant tell by looking which one is shielded ?. Was just thinking maybe I had my wires crossed or something. IDK, maybe I need to adjust the height better.

I just anwered my own question. My Baja Designs light arrived with the H4 bulb installed UPSIDE DOWN!! I wondered why I had to switch my high/low beam wires around when I first hooked it up. My low beam was great cuz it was the unshielded filament. The high beam was shining coons in the trees. Swapped it around so the center connector was up and all is right with the world again!:banana: Oh, I also switched my wires back to the way they should be. I'm a little dense sometimes but I get it eventually!:eek:

Hope this helps somebody else.

Michigan400

I'll try one of those, thanks JAT!! :banana:

You'll be the 1st to know if I decide to go HID.

I just anwered my own question. My Baja Designs light arrived with the H4 bulb installed UPSIDE DOWN!! I wondered why I had to switch my high/low beam wires around when I first hooked it up. My low beam was great cuz it was the unshielded filament. The high beam was shining coons in the trees. Swapped it around so the center connector was up and all is right with the world again!:eek: Oh, I also switched my wires back to the way they should be. I'm a little dense sometimes but I get it eventually!?

Hope this helps somebody else.

Michigan400

Oh very cool!!! Such an easy fix once you find it!!

... and ya, I see HID in your future.? (Everyone can always use more light)

Oh very cool!!! Such an easy fix once you find it!!

... and ya, I see HID in your future. :eek: (Everyone can always use more light)

I'm actually ignorant on the HID thing. Just recently started researching lighting upgrades. I never rode at night before I got the bike plated. Whats it take to do a conversion properly? Is it DOT, or atleast passable? I'm in Michigan so cops dont even blink when I ride by. :banana:

I'm actually ignorant on the HID thing. Just recently started researching lighting upgrades. I never rode at night before I got the bike plated. Whats it take to do a conversion properly? Is it DOT, or atleast passable? I'm in Michigan so cops dont even blink when I ride by. :banana:

PM sent.

Trust Johnny on the HID he knows his stuff, his Airtime-HID is amazing. I am running a dual filament HID I bought from Johnny and the lo beam is brighter than any halo, burns cooler and less power consumption then you flip the switch and on goes the hi beam still cooler then 1 halo and power consumption just a tad more (70 watts 7.5 amps). No offense to guys promoting halos but when you actually run HID there is no comparison to HID's crystal clear light on a dark trail. It may look expensive but it will seem reasonable once you run them and when it saves your life cheap. Opens a whole new world of riding... midnight trail running is a blast.

I put in a silverstar yesterday and went for a ride that night. The silverstar @ 4000k looks pretty nice to me, the yellowish one that came with it was almost as bright the silverstar, as far as distance down the road, but my eyes pick stuff up better with the new one.

I gotta wait a little bit before I spend anymore on the bike. I've added about a grand in goodies since the summer started and my checking account is starting to dwindle fast! A little time to juice it back up and do it all over again. :banana:

I've got full fledged XRitis now! Its an enjoyable sickness but it sure aint cheap!