future of the motocross engine.

after spending some time around thumpertalk i have to wonder what is going to happen to the dirt bikes and their engines as time goes on. what do you guys think that the new engine is going to be for them. im talking about between direct inject two strokes, vvt 4 strokes (ect), wankel rotary engines, electric, propane,. i think that the 4 stroke has the most untapped potential right now with the vvt and with things like f1 engine technology. but i just want to know what you guys think.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, electric is going to have it's shot for a small run. Like when the 4 strokes started to come out there were few and then many as time went by. I think in the end people are going to want more power and they're not going to want to wait for the next new battery and electric motor to come out to achieve this.

This is when 2 stroke injection will come in, it'll satisfy the hippies with its lower emissions than 4 strokes, and it will give the power junkies the HP they want, and it will give the average rider the ability to afford to repair such an engine.

Just my two cents.

No it probably won't, I'll agree with you on that for sure. But it will be big IMO, big enough that you'll start seeing it running in a MX race. Winning a race however, I think it will be a neat effort.

I'm no expert, I haven't followed the trends of MX for the last 30 years to make an accurate depiction of what the future entales :banana: Just my two cents :eek:

pneumatic valves, like motogp and F1 motors is probably never going to happen. UNLESS! they soemhow find a way to make them serviceable by the public and somehow cheap enough. As it sits a MotoGP motor costs about as much as the other parts of the bike, which is probably in the 500 range. soooo thats out of the air. Hydrogen bikes will be the shizzle in 200 years and will be so fast the brakes will be on permanent drag. Electric bikes just need more money. If they could make a LiPo battery OMG, power galore and plus they last forever. LiPo is just more everything of the rechargables we know today. they last 3x longer, produce more power longer, half the weight, charge faster, basically better than any battery alive, problem is the price. I think it should be an option fo rthose who want a budget and those who want the juice.diesel bikes would be so cool!!! throw a small super on there to get rid of the jump in power that a turbo gives, and watch torque and fuel mileage go through the roof! these are just thing I think of when future bikes come to mind. Ive conglomerated thoughts on many things, this just being one of a few topics. Its crazy really. speed will no longer be an option on bikes, it will be the riders resistance to twisting the throttle and still being able to hold on.

Well I used to that RC stuff. Revo man right here... didnt much care for the monster truck thing, anyway!, thats double a 09 or 10 bike off the showroom. But still in places, like your back yard, you can ride all day even with your noise picky neighbor.

i think bikes could be a little more advanced like having the clutch seperate from the crank case because when those plates wear the particles go all threw the engine. Its pretty cool about the fuel injection with mx bikes nowdays i think. Also bikes should have a fully sycromized clutch that would be pretty sick. Honda`s got the right idea with the tranny oil seperate from the crankcase but i think all bikes should have that. Over all the engines keep getting better and better as the years go on little details here and there make an engine last/preforme better.

It seems like there is way more Potential that can be put on the new four strokes. I dont think there's that much else that can be done with the smoker besides DI. And a four stroke will eventually ge DI aswell. I'm probably wrong so... Waiting for a correction

not a correction just another opinion from someone elses view on either side of the mississippi. Anyway, I think DI on 2ts will be the turning point of the sport. I also believe a different set of rules by the AMA, but thats political and this is engineering. So if 4 strokes go DI, we will see a couple things, more WEIGHT!, more sophistication, and some other thing. Its late I cant think! I would love to see audi make a diesel motor, DI, and sell the motors to KTM or some other euro company. The japs are to greedy. Could you imagine what type of gearing and how much you could accomplish with a diesel MC???!!! you could do a second gear corner in 3 or 4 and just pull the trigger on that boy. And talk about traction. gas motors just want to live and spin diesels like to tractor and make a good and decent pull. I would buy a diesel bike in a heart beat.

2 wheel drive

More or less active suspension

Electronically controlled clutch

Automatic gearbox

2-stroke DI

Variable length (volume) intake and exhaust (for two stroke)

Fly by wire

Traction control

Regarding engine... There's not really a lot to do because current engines are pretty damn good. Of course they can be made better, but not without trashing traditional ways of riding and they are truly hard to change because basic handling has remained the same for decades. Of course small changes can be done, like moving to lighter two stroke, but engines today are powerful enough and if made even more powerful, they will need electronics to make them ridable.

Diesel??? Man that would be cool. Then watch the farm kids get brand new diesel bikes that they could use to pull trailers around the farm when not racing around. HAHAHAHA

But my humble opion is this. I love 2 strokes I still have one. But there done except for KTM and the few that will hang on to them. I think that electric will take over as the years roll on. As the populations continue to rise and more houses go up. That means lees tracks. Well not here but for sure in California and other larger areas. The ones that survive will be slowly surronded and chocked. Sound vialations will become more and more the problem. Hey if the can build a wicked electric bike then why not. Frieght trains are electric powerd by diesel. But the tork is out of this world from electric and much more managble. Hey and no oil and gas costs

2 wheel drive

More or less active suspension

Electronically controlled clutch

Automatic gearbox

2-stroke DI

Variable length (volume) intake and exhaust (for two stroke)

Fly by wire

Traction control

This is why I think electric bikes are going to be pretty big. I'm not trying to argue with you or prove points wrong, just showing what electric bikes could do for us.

• 2 wheel drive? An electric motor in the front hub would be fairly simple compared to an orbital hydraulic drive, or Christini's current system
  • Electronically controlled clutch? Electric bikes don't need a stinking clutch!
  • Automatic gear box? Again, no need
  • Traction control? Pretty simple with an electric bike

Won't replace all the gassers, not even close (too many people feel they need the noise). But there are a lot of advantages to an electric bike. You eliminate so many systems, radiators, gas tank, carb/efi, clutch/gearbox, trying to route an exhaust etc etc etc. You could have a method of selecting any sort of power curve you want. Heck, the electric motor could even be used for braking, and could work as a ABS system.