Heres a weird problem installing grips. Whats going on?

This has me stumped :D,not to mention a little lighter around the wallet area :D. I got a great deal on a 2002 RM85 for my 10 year old (he already has a 2003 YZ 85, but I couldnt pass up on this one) It has a nice set of Renthals on it, and needed new grips. I cut the old ones off, which were glued with some kind of Gorrilla Snot (MAybe Renthal grip glue?). It is a yellowish color, looks like a type of contact cement. Anyhow, I get a new pair of Renthal grips out of the trailer, coat the inside good with some clear laquer, and slide em on. A few minutes later, I see the throttle side has a big tear on the end. Damn, there goes 10 bucks :D. There was a sharp spot on the throttle tube, so Ifile it off. I go get another set, paint em,and slide em on. Same thing happens again!!! 10 more bucks ๐Ÿ™‚! Whats up, I have been using the same type of paint on the same type of grips for years, never had a problem, and never had a grip come loose either. I think, well, maybe I should try a different type of grip. I pick up a couple pairs of the 909 grips with the little metal plate on the end. Paint em, and slide em on. Damn, there goes another ten bucks :D :D! Maybe I should try something else :D!

I'm getting pissed now, but also getting smarter. I wont put another pair on until I find out the problem here. I am thinking the old gorrilla snot glue is reacting with the paint, and dissolving the rubber grip. Anyone else ever have this problem?

fofiveoh

My guess is there might be a sharp edge on the bar, or the gorilla snot might be giving you problems. Get some gas or paint thinner and rub all that gorilla snot off of there, then try again. If that doesn't work, cuss out loud for about 10 minutes, that usually helps my problems ๐Ÿ™‚ PS make sure the neighbors can hear you cussin

My guess is there might be a sharp edge on the bar, or the gorilla snot might be giving you problems. Get some gas or paint thinner and rub all that gorilla snot off of there, then try again. If that doesn't work, cuss out loud for about 10 minutes, that usually helps my problems :D PS make sure the neighbors can hear you cussin

As far as the cussin goes, I'm like a druggie, who need s more and more all the time to be satisfied. And the neighbors know I'm an addict! :D๐Ÿ™‚

I got rid of all the sharp spots, but the last set, both the left and right grips developed tears, so I am sure there is a reaction of some type going on. I guess I'll have to spend a good while cleaning bars off.

fofiveoh

I think there is a chemical reaction going on...Lacquer? &%$#@!?!?!?! I work in the paint department at Home Deep throat, and i would of never thought to use lacquer. I just use contact cement for 2 dollars a tube.

Its just a can of clear spray paint! Other than this problem, its the best and easiest I have found.

fofiveoh

True there is a reaction going on and it is softening the rubber but the real problem is that you are installing the grip too far. I usually use straight gas for istallation but I guess the thinner is about the same. The slipping action is working so well that you are pushing the grip too far and stretching the end to where it tears. Your method will work fine if you just push the grip to where it bottoms out and not any further. I have plenty of experience breaking the ends of the grips out in precisely the same fashion. Once I figured out the real problem I didn't have any more rips.

KT

I typically use axle grease or petroleum jelly on my grips. When racing my buddies it makes me go faster when having a throttle on both sides! ๐Ÿ™‚

No really I haven't used any type of grip glue for years. I use a air compressor shooting air under the grips to get them on completely dry then use safety wire pliers to install the safety wire. No more gorilla snot to clean off with installation of new grips.

Yes, like said before, the laquer is breaking down the grips. I have had this happen when using "GRIP-IT" grip super glue too. Renthal "soft" grips dont mix well with any type of solvent. If you must have renthal grips, try the "Dual Layers", they should hold up to the solvent better. My favorite Dual layer grips are the Spiders. Its all just preference though.

This is also why Renthal insists that you use their grip glue. Nice marketing/engineering scheme.

www.spidergrips.com

sorry guys but the best way is to get everything off the handlebar/ throttletube then take a bike pump, stick a pin in it, then stick it in hte end of the grip, then plug the other end, then pump so the grip becomes a balloon and then it slides right on, do the same for the throttle side. works the best for me... no chemical reactions or any of that... becareful though it may seem so easy that you will put the left grip on the throttle slide :D :D i did that a couple of times but the grips stay well but if they slip then i lift up the inside and put some cement in it or wrap chicken wire around it to hold it on... good stuff ๐Ÿ™‚:D :D

I would use safety wire or some kind of glue- I installed my grips sans wire and glue, and they slip all the time and are getting worn out from me always readjusting them. Next time, I'll buy some grip glue or safety wire pliers and do it right- those stupid grips cost me 13 bucks! ๐Ÿ™‚

All those lacquers and thinners are melting your grips. Renthals can only be put on with Renthal glue, unless you find a mild type of glue that won't have that kind of chemical reaction. You can't even use Honda grip glue on Renthals cause that will melt them too. Use your glue sparingly as well. Too much can melt them as well.

1. Wrap friction tape

2. Douse with gasoline

3. Slide grip on

4. gasoline evaporates

5. Glue in friction tape makes grip stick like no other.

6. Safety wire

This is how golf shops install those new grips, works

awesome! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Wrap friction tape

2. Douse with gasoline

3. Slide grip on

4. gasoline evaporates

5. Glue in friction tape makes grip stick like no other.

6. Safety wire

This is how golf shops install those new grips, works

awesome! ๐Ÿ™‚

This is exactly how I used to put grips on, until I tried the clear paint method. It does work well, although I have had grips that tend to rotate a bit sometimes (I dont believe they would ever actually move though). Up to now the paint has performed perfectly, but I may just go back to the old friction tape method. I learned it from my dad, about 26 or 28 years ago.

fofiveoh

I've gone through a few sets of those Renthal soft grips in the past, trying to use various glues. The best method I have come across is to fill the grip with straight gas for about 30 seconds, dump out the gas and put the grip on right away, repeat for other grip. The grips will bond nicely when the gas fully evaporates. I like to put a couple of wraps of lock wire on before I ride as extra insurance, just don't do it while the grip is still soft from the gas or the wire will cut the grip. I'm trying the dual compounds right now, they look rough with the soft compund wearing off but I didn't even wire them.