84-85 CR250R ATAC Motor

Im starting a ground up dune buggy project and i was in search for a 250cc 2 stroke engine. i was looking for a more mild mannered one, and cheaper too. i found a great deal on an 84 cr250 motor with everthing included and it runs great. looks clean and still has the "atac" label on the cover. so is this a nice reliable good ol' motor to work with or is it flawed considering its the first year of a powervalved 2 smoker honda? if you know anything about the motors please shed some light thanks!

If you want a more mild mannered CR250 motor, I would consider one of the case reed engines. They had a much smoother power curve, which seems to be deceiving to a lot of people. A lot of people think they are down on power, but it is really more because it doesn't rip your arms off like older CR's.

CR250's between 1982 and 1989 all had magnesium water pump cover which WILL corrode and fail as time goes on.

The 1984 water pump cover is a "one year only" cover and Honda no longer sells a replacement cover.

The 1985 through 1989 water pump covers CAN be replaced, Honda sells new water pump covers and they are made from aluminum. Yes, a 1989 water pump cover DOES work on the 1985 through 1989 motors.

Personally, I do not know of many people enthusiastic about the ATAC motors. 1984 ATAC motors had a tendency to fracture piston skirts.

If you want a more mild mannered CR250 motor, I would consider one of the case reed engines. They had a much smoother power curve, which seems to be deceiving to a lot of people. A lot of people think they are down on power, but it is really more because it doesn't rip your arms off like older CR's.

I have an 02 CR250. It's got the case reed motor and it rips. Not really all that smooth.. lacks low end and wont rev out smoothly. Its all about the punchy midrange