Acl

The study consisted mostly of average joes, not competitive motocross racers.

Having grown up in Brooklyn in an Italian neighboorhood in the "60s and '70s, there were always some older tough guys who told me that they had heard all about what they say about smoking, but THEIR doctor told them that their more than 50 pack/years of smoking hadn't effected them. Since I was a neighboorhood kid that was going to medical school, they felt I needed to know this.

Uncle Vito, Uncle Al, Uncle Patty, and Uncle Frank. God rest their souls. All died of lung cancer before I finally recived my MD degree.

There is always someone who thinks he can race without an ACL and get away with it. Perhaps you will be the first.

"Dont kill the messanger because of the message" I didnt write the article or carry out the study and I dont believe I ever said I was or wasnt getting surgery. I simple was trying to share some information on this board.

Sorry to hear about your aunts and uncles though. I have cousins who grew up in Brooklyn, what neighborhood?

I tore my ACL along with my MCL and fractured tibia on May 30. I was off work till July 19. Im on light duty at work and have to ware a brace. Im having my ACL surgery in October. My knee feels pretty strong with having therapy 2 times a week since the 2nd week of July but there's no way im confident enough in it to go riding!

I don’t what muscles you could possible strengthen to compensate for not having an ACL. I had my right knee done 20 years ago; I’m having my left done next Monday. I hurt my knee the beginning of June and have had to be super careful with how I move because it’s so unstable.

It’s only gone out once when I was getting of my bike and it hurt almost as bad as when I originally hurt it... I’d say if you want to be a spectator you could get by, but life is not a spectator sport to me.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want some real life perspective on this. I have had one Acl on my right knee it was 6 years ago. 2 years ago i re tore it (Crash) - Mri confirmed it - I have recently given up trying to avoid another reconstruction as i cannot take it anymore. I have a terrible limp. My knee swells after any hard riding or phyiscal activity (espicially basketball and Footy Rugby League that is for you americans haha). Everyone now and then when i walk my knee will cave in on itself if im walking lazily. I go to the gym and see a physio once a week and although my knee has strength it just lacks stability. I'm having my ACL reconstruction in 11 days and i cannot wait to have it. I have been through it all before and the biggest thing i can say is that the time leading up to having the operation is just as important as the time after - Ive already started to do my post op exercises as its targeting the muscles i will need most. I have my fingers crossed for a fast recover and i will say this - Hide your alcohol for 6 months. Do not drink at all- not even 1.