kickstart return spring help

I have searched the forums here and have either missed the info I am looking for or I just cant find it. I have an 07 250f and I am having trouble getting the spring installed correctly to get the kickstart lever to return properly. I assume the spring doesnt have to be preloaded with tension a full turn because it appears that would be to tight. What is the correct alignment of the shaft and spring to get the lever to return correctly? I have 450 also and tried to use the repair manual for it for help but it doesnt have much of an explanation for installation. thanks

The spring goes in a hole below the kick shaft. You have to kind of wiggle it to make all things line up and then it slips in to place.

"Kickshaft Installation •Apply a non-permanent locking agent to the ratchet guide

bolt. •Install the ratchet guide [A].

Torque - Kick Ratchet Guide Bolt: 9.8 N·m (1.0 kgf·m, 87

in·lb)

•Apply molybdenum disulfide grease to the end of the kickshaft.

•Insert the kick shaft assembly into the crankcase.

○Securely engage the stopper portion [C] of the ratchet

gear with the guide. •Insert the spring end [D] into the hole [E]."

Yeah I have installed the shaft and then spring with the white plastic retainer with the spring in the hole below the shaft. Several times I have put it together and taken it back apart but when I kick the engine over the lever will only return a little bit not even half way. There is some tension on the spring but not enough to return it all the way. I tried kicking it a few times and then just moving the kicker on the shaft to realign it thinking this was the problem but it doesn't seem to be the fix. The kicker worked fine before it was taken apart. I bought the bike used and the bolt was broken off in the shaft so I had to remove the shaft to get the old bolt out. My buddy who used to work for a couple local shops helped with the tear down and reassembly but doesn't know what the problem is.

Thanks again.

yeah I think that is why my problem is. I dont know how to correctly "clock" the shaft with the ratchet mechanism. I think the ratchet must start at the top locked in with the stopper before the spring is locked into the hole but this still doesnt seem to be anywhere close to the correct spring tension. Does the spring need turned clockwise or counterclockwise to be locked into the hole. Clockwise would be a lot more tension but the manual doesnt specify.

It's been a while since I've had the kick starter apart on a Kawi. If I remember correctly there is a small dot or paint mark on a spline on the shaft that will line up with a small dot on the ratchet. Once you get that right your spring tension will be correct.

After putting the axle in, you wind the spring clockwise until it reaches the hole. This is the preload.

Then when you push the kick pedal down it will wind the spring even harder, making it want to come back up easily.

But you have to wiggle it in place and then pull the spring to the hole kinda at the same time.

• 5 years later...

Old thread but you have solved my problem. Thank you!! I have a 450 and didn't have the alignment correct first of all, thought that was it. It was but I then read this and can see that I wasn't preloading the spring in the correct direction. It was so much easier to go counter clockwise. Figures the easier way isn't the correct way.