Condition of this CRF450?

Just wanted to see what you guys think of the condition of this 2006 CRF450 since I may buy it. How many hours would you estimate it has on it? is there anything specific I should look out for when buying a CRF other than the usual things to look out for when buying a dirtbike? Anyways, let me know what you guys think. I got the guy to let it go for 3.5k cdn if I want it. Thanks.:banana:

3917m6e_20.jpg

9450e38_20.jpg

0016a8a_20.jpg

Do you think that someone tried to polish this side of the frame? ^^

00267n4_20.jpg

8170d9a_20.jpg

1946adi_20.jpg

5278g25_20.jpg

67438bg_20.jpg

83606fm_20.jpg

It has quite a few hours on it...

No one tried to polish the frame, thats from the riders legs rubbing it shiny.

I have no idea on the hours, but over 50 for sure (my frame is that shiny where I hold on with my boots by the pegs and I've put more than that on my bike since getting it with less than 10 hours on it this January lol).

The bike is advertised as trail ridden, the person I'm getting it off of is the 2nd owner. is 50 hours a lot? I mean, how many more hours before I would/should rebuild? what makes you sure it's over 50? Not to question you at all, I just want to learn how to better judge a bikes condition! is there anything critical I should absolutely check? I plan to check how easy it is to start cold, check the rads, the cases, the bearings, the drain plugs, the air box, etc... anything else that's critical? Thanks

Easiest way to tell is to see how it starts when it's cold. Then I'd also get it good and warm as those tend to have issues starting when hot as well. If it starts easily cold that's a good sign, if it's hard to start when hot pull the hot start and if it fires up easily again that's a good sign. There really is not tell all that's going to give you 100% certainty, it's a CRF and they are prone to valve issues. If you buy it make sure you check the valve clearance and monitor them closely.

The bike is advertised as trail ridden, the person I'm getting it off of is the 2nd owner. is 50 hours a lot? I mean, how many more hours before I would/should rebuild? what makes you sure it's over 50? Not to question you at all, I just want to learn how to better judge a bikes condition! is there anything critical I should absolutely check? I plan to check how easy it is to start cold, check the rads, the cases, the bearings, the drain plugs, the air box, etc... anything else that's critical? Thanks

50 hours was just a guess, but it does have quite a few hours on it. It could have more, but it probably doesn't have less.

What you want to look for is wear on the frames (really shiny where the boots are @), rubbing on the cases (on the magnesium cases like the Hondas have it's very easy to see the wear, this one has quite a bit of wear on both sides).

Check the filter (oil) and look for metal particles, look for any leaks or cracks on the cases and for cracks on the frame, etc... just all basic stuff. Ask how often he changed the trans and engine oil (what kind did he use? How often did he change the filter?), has he ever checked the valves (if he shimmed what sizes did he use?)? Changed the topend? etc... People who aren't up on taking care of their bikes will usually stutter or not know the answers to simple questions.

the early crfs had valve issues. like the 02's. i have an 05 with no valve problems. the 06 has the new seat material which is even better than the previous years. dont buy into people telling you not to get it because it has or will have valve problems. 50 hours is not bad if you are getting it for a good price. the plastic looks new, like brand new. check the radiators to see if it has been crashed. sight how the plastic lines up in the back to see if the subframe is bent or not. make sure it starts easy, preferably by the 3rd kick when cold. check the forks for leaks. check the brake pads. by looking at the frame and the clutch and ignition covers it has some use, but not bad if the price is right. if it were mine i would freshen up the top end (piston and valves ) fairly soon just for peace of mind.

the early crfs had valve issues. like the 02's. i have an 05 with no valve problems. the 06 has the new seat material which is even better than the previous years. dont buy into people telling you not to get it because it has or will have valve problems. 50 hours is not bad if you are getting it for a good price. the plastic looks new, like brand new. check the radiators to see if it has been crashed. sight how the plastic lines up in the back to see if the subframe is bent or not. make sure it starts easy, preferably by the 3rd kick when cold. check the forks for leaks. check the brake pads. by looking at the frame and the clutch and ignition covers it has some use, but not bad if the price is right. if it were mine i would freshen up the top end (piston and valves ) fairly soon just for peace of mind.

Thank you very much Motogeek, Subtexel and everyone else for the very useful feedback. And believe me I will definitely be opening up the top end almost immediately if I get it so that I know exactly what is going on and what condition everything is in inside of the engine. Thanks again, the feedback is greatly appreciated and if anyone else has something to say dont be afraid to throw in your $0.02 .

The plastics really do look bran new. But at the same time the magnesium covers, frame and seat all look way more worn then the plastic and look to be worn at the same pace. This makes me somewhat suspicious. So I decided to cancel buying the bike because the plastics are obviously bran new and the rest of the bike is obviously a lot more used then the plastics. He was advertising the bike as "Like new condition" except it isnt at all, it doesnt even have the stock plastics on it which makes it harder for me to tell what kind of abuse it could have been through. I think I'll save a little more and get something I know is Mint.

Edited by TripleUp

The plastics really do look bran new. But at the same time the magnesium covers, frame and seat all look way more worn then the plastic and look to be worn at the same pace. This makes me somewhat suspicious. So I decided to cancel buying the bike because the plastics are obviously bran new and the rest of the bike is obviously a lot more used then the plastics. He was advertising the bike as "Like new condition" except it isnt at all, it doesnt even have the stock plastics on it which makes it harder for me to tell what kind of abuse it could have been through. I think I'll save a little more and get something I know is Mint.

tu fait bien c'est un astie de crosseur qui a importer le bike du vermont

qui la pas fait inspecter pis apres y veut te le vendre en disant qui peut pas le transferrer a ton nom mais c pas grave sa change rien qui ma dit!

jai ete le voir dimanche passe! i mas fait perdre mon temps pis manquer un autre deal sur un crf 450 08