Float height issues

Hi all, I just need a little help here, kinda screw up while experimenting on my drz400sm.

Took out my carb to clean last week and I might had accidentally adjusted the tang, as fuel pours out of the overflow tube when i tilt the bike to about 45degrees off ground after assembling.

I tried adjusting the float back to the original position (12 to 14mm) as stated on the manual, it was really difficult checking the float height!

My estimate using my ruler is that its already between 12mm to 14mm and also fuel does not pour out at 45degrees tilt now, however I am really not sure :banana:

So I have a few questions swirling round my mind:

1. Is it that easy to bend by just touching it? Or do I have to use a little brute force to actually "bend" the tang?

2. Does the float height changes the position of the fuel screw?

3. Is it normal that fuel pours out of the overflow tube at about 45degs tilt?

4. Adjusting the fuel screw was a headache, it is really hard to tell when is the PEAK RPM, any better method other than hearing for it?

THANK YOU!

If you press on the floats (or pull them), yes, the tang can get bent.

Yes, the float height affects all aspects of the cab operation. High float makes the bike rich, low float makes it lean.

It is certainly possible. Think you ever tilt the bike that far and still be riding it?

When you think you are at peak, slow down the idle speed. Tweak the fuel screw. If the bike stalls ior runs rough going either direction, you know you got it right.

If you press on the floats (or pull them), yes, the tang can get bent.

Yes, the float height affects all aspects of the cab operation. High float makes the bike rich, low float makes it lean.

It is certainly possible. Think you ever tilt the bike that far and still be riding it?

When you think you are at peak, slow down the idle speed. Tweak the fuel screw. If the bike stalls ior runs rough going either direction, you know you got it right.

Thanks! Will try out the last part later, seems helpful :banana:

Just curious, was there a reason for you cleaning it?

Also, if the float valve (the float needle with the rubber tip) has a groove or otherwise isn't a smooth point you could be flooding the float bowl, even if it wasn't doing it before cuz you could put it back in a different position making it harder to seal than before.

yeah because I got it second hand, so had decided to take it apart and there was indeed dirt within. Anyway no issues with the float needle and the tip is not worn yet.

I do not experience any overflowing carb when if I left the pet cock on overnight.

So my guess is probably me worry too much with that tilt when its actually fine! I think its fine now. Thanks all :banana: