cr250 kickstart not engaging

When i bought my '88 cr250 i knew the kick start wasnt working so i bought it for a lower price. When i would kick the kickstart, it would catch 40% of the time and the other 60% it wouldnt be engaged. When the kickstart wasnt engaged, it would make the ratcheting sound. I did notice that when I took the cover off the spring was not in its unthreaded hole and it was just up against the edge of a gear. Could that have been the problem? When I put the spring back in the hole, It seems to really try to pop out and the spring doesnt look centered. I just want to figure out what this is before I seal up the case and try to start it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Ant

Edited by Antman94

The spring does not sit center around the kicker shaft once the spring is hooked in the case hole and yes it looks like it wants to pop apart. I think the spring is mostly for returning the kicker to the top, but then again it could also cause the cams to to return. You may have fixed it....

If not I would find a manual, take the kicker assembly apart and verify that the index marks are aligned and if there is any damaged. Also check that the paw is not bent or missing.

This is from a 92 125/250 manual.

CRkick.jpg

That's about how the Hondas always look, all smashed. Make sure it is seated and the spring is in the case good and put the cover back on with a couple bolts and give it push with you hand. DONT KICK IT, unless you put all the bolts in. If it seems to work, toruqe it down and kick it. Also in that top pic the paw behind the kicker gear almost looks like it may have some damage, but it may just be 22 years of wear.

Your clutch basket looks a little worn as well...