10CRF250R Metal Particles in Oil

10CRF250R has nearly 40hrs total. Oil changes every ~6 hours I'd say. Started with Honda GN4 10W40 and then moved to Various synthetic 10W40's but ended up with Motul in the engine (syn blend) and Spectro 80 Gear Oil in the box most of the time.

5 hours back I put in a 13.5:1 CP Piston, broke it in with some spirited riding and conventional oil, GN4 in there now, and went from there. I am not a really fast rider. I would put myself in the amateur who can't clear all the jumps yet category...but I do ride a lot and enjoy this bike a great deal.

I drained the oil from both my engine and trans and left it overnight then got the residual the next day. Anyway, I found some metal particles in the oil and I'm not sure if they came from trans or motor, but they do attract to a magnet...it is not a large amount I would guess, but enough to be quite visible and get me to want to at least learn more about what could be going on. My first thought was that it was the bronze washers on the big end of the rod so perhaps my crank was going out. They were magnetize-able though so probably not that. Does the stock clutch pack have steel plates? I would guess Alum, and my clutch has been fine based on feel anyway. I changed a cable out a few hours ago, but that is it on the clutch. (Lubing the cable-end that has a sheath around it at the lever has taken care of clutch squeeking sounds now that I figured that one out.)

I did pull my filter, which is a stainless cloth type from Maxima, and cleand it with brake cleaner. It did not have much of anything on the cloth, but a little bit of metal particle, not as much as I would expect based on what was in the oil. That is what made me think it might have been the trans oil that was tainted there in the drain pan.

Any help here is appreciated. Thanks,

It was most likely from the trans side. Typically the gear oil will look like metallic paint (sorry but that's my best description). This is normal and it's generally particles from both the clutch and gears and no reason for concern. If it's large particles then something could be wrong.

I also just changed the transmission oil and noticed what looked to be tiny metalic material in the trans oil. I have only ridden four or five total hours on the bike and this is the second time I have changed the transmission oil.

So this is "ok" and nothing to be alarmed about?

After 40 hrs, the "typical metal" from break in should be long gone. I would pull the left side cover and look in the screen at the bottom of the crankcase and the flywheel since it's a big magnet and anything metal will stick to it. Pull the tank and look under the valve cover to see what's in there also. Once you did this, let us know what you find. I don't know how much metal you pulled out, but I would take it serious until you know otherwise. Since your not sure where it came from, better to be safe than sorry. Could very well be the steels in the clutch, hopefully!

I had the same concern when seeing a metallic sheen when changing the oil. I have never had any problems. I change my oil frequently and the tranny side always has some metallic particles. It is normal clutch plate wear. When / If you ever see brass particles on the engine side, it main bearing time.

I had the same concern when seeing a metallic sheen when changing the oil. I have never had any problems. I change my oil frequently and the tranny side always has some metallic particles. It is normal clutch plate wear. When / If you ever see brass particles on the engine side, it main bearing time.

Crankshaft time I'm sure you meant!

And 100% right on the metallic in the trans oil. Normal!