Wiseco Crank Assy's

:bonk:My 04 CR 250 locked up with no warning what so ever. I put new Wiseco crank and piston assy less then 10 hours ag0, smooth gentle break-in, and trail ridden only. Well, the lower bearings blew apart and trashed everything, including the "strongest Forged Piston available" Well, I would not recommed any wiseco crank assy's as #1, they are made in china #2 no warranty past 30 days. I am sticking with all OEM for now on. I was wondering if any one else had a problem with Wiseco cranks?

no problems here, a couple questions

1 was it a jetting problem?

2 did you drill the piston?

3 how did you install it, with a proper crank press tool? or did you simply bolt the cases together and try to pull them

Just got off phone ith the Bike shop. The problem was, they use a thin sheetmetal sheating on the crank weights both halves. This sheeting cam off the weights and got lodged inbetween the weights and the cases, then tore up my piston, end everything else. I guess Wiseco has known about this but never issued a service bulletin or anything. they keeping it hush hush. No jetting, or any other issues

Have you contacted Wiseco customer service about the issue? I can assure you we will be happy to address your concerns. We stand behind our products, and we will not leave someone hanging. Please PM me directly if you have any problems. Thanks!

gotta ask again

1 was it a jetting problem? two bottom ends going I would look at jetting

2 did you drill the piston?

3 how did you install it, with a proper crank press tool? or did you simply bolt the cases together and try to pull them

Man why can't anyone ever just call the manufactures and see what they can do before start a whiny ass bitch fest? Seriously.

Just wondering, if OEM ever had a problem like this just who the hell would you call? Honda? ART?

Yeah you should go cast next time. That'll show em! Use that inferior piston! :banana: Love it.

Same thing happened to my 02 CR125 with about 12hrs on the Wiseco crank. My crank is at Wiseco right now. The crank shaft has been there since July 28, 2010. I spoke with a gentleman named Ron I believe; on July 30, 2010 he was kind and helpful. He said the engineer was on vacation and would be back on the 2nd of Aug and I should have an answer then. I was finally able to get a hold of someone there on Wednesday the 11th of Aug (I did not get his name), after trying every day since the 2nd of Aug. The guy I spoke with on the 11th was a prick on the on the phone, and said it would not get looked at for another week because there was too many other failed crankshafts inline.

The bike always ran Sunoco 110 with maxima oil mixed 32:1. The OEM crankshaft was fine but I was doing a rebuild and for the price of the Wiseco unit with main bearings, seals, and gaskets I figured why not. Due to the good reputation of Wiseco automotive products I felt it was a good choice and I would not need to get back into the bottom end of the engine for a long time. 12 hrs was not my idea of a long time.

We use Wiseco pistons at work in all the high horsepower turbo cars we build, so I put a lot of confidence in Wiseco.

We will see what they say next week I guess.

For MegaDeTH:

No, it was not a jetting problem

Yes, it had a Wiseco piston with the holes drilled from the factory

No, a crank press was not used. The Wiseco crank “pressed” into the main bearings with hand pressure. It was not an interference fit like the OEM Honda crank (probably should have been a warning sign).

KZ4, I'm not sure if you have heard back from Wiseco customer service or not, but the cranks came into stock today (which was part of the delay), and a replacement crank is being shipped out. Ron is in the office today, so please give him a call if you have any questions. Thanks!

I think the oem crank is a bad choice as it's not rebuildable

and does honda even make the oem pistons? I thought JE or someone else made them

OE crank is rebuildable, shops just don't like doing Honda cranks. You can't hit the webs with a brass hammer or drive wedges between them to get the alignment because of the sheetmetal shrouds. They are rebuildable, Honda sells all of the parts necessary to rebuild their cranks, but they're a PITA to rebuild and your shop is going to give you hell for it.

OE conrod and bearing kits cost around $100. Labor to rebuild should be $90 but some shops will try to charge you $200+. So, a rebuilt like new OE crank should end up costing you around $180 which is cheaper than the $250ish Wiseco crank and is better quality.

Wiseco, I love you and your products but not your cranks. The bearings in my bike need to say Japan or USA somewhere on the bearing.

I just did the crank on an RMZ 450, with the Wiseco crank kit. Good stuff. It went in with no issues, the bearings were the exact same as stock, and the bike fired right up and runs great.

Thanks Wiseco for a great value! I am ashamed to admit I paid $180 for a gasket and seal kit from another manufacturer a while back for this same bike. I just knew there was something wrong with that deal.

This time I paid $200 bucks for the Wiseco crank kit and the seal and gasket kit came with it. Home run!!!