Somebody buy this '03 YZ250 with ~5hrs. on it

An interesting update for Cal. people.

If you blow up one of the pictures, the bike looks to have an '04 green sticker.

There were '03 bikes that slipped through the system for some reason back in '03-'04.

My friend has an '03 CR with a green sticker and they've never taken it back although

the computer is supposed to kick out the 10th digit "3".

This may be because my friend's never let the reg. expire. Don't know.

But something to be aware of. If I were a Cal. buyer, I'd ask the owner to

reg. the bike first and settle whether the DMV catches it before you buy it.

They may have also excluded bikes they previously let through, just like all '02 and prior ie.

this VIN may have been tagged exempt and allowed a green sticker like my friend's.

Only way to be sure is have him reg. it first, offer to pay if it stays green etc.

If it does end up being able to keep the green sticker, it's a rare bird and a cool bike to have.

Edited by carver

Clean bike.

I really like the red green sticker set up down there. Red sticker bikes go for cheap during green sticker season. I just drove down and bought a 06 YZ 250 for $1,700, it's pretty well set up too; oversized front rotor, BRP submount and frame post, zip ty bling, spare zip ty ims tank, fmf, guts racing seat and more. Was talking to another guy who had a 06 about as clean as the bike you've posted that would sell for $2,000. Might just start buying them and reselling in Oregon for $500-1000 more! ha

And the other way around works too.

Pick up a nice '02 for $1200 there and sell it for $500 more here.

Bring one down, bring one back.......

I bought my '02 green sticker in Lake Havasu (Arizona)

back in '07 for $1800 while they were going for $3000 in Cal.

If this bike can maintain its green sticker, it's prob. worth $2000 in Cal.

If it can't, it immediately loses about $500 in value in Cal..

Edited by carver

There's also the issue of the steel frame/open chamber forks possibly being more forgiving and

less harsh on rough woods ie. rocks/roots/ruts etc. For MX ie. jumps/high speed whoops, SSS is better and the aluminum frame

stiffness is a good thing. For rough woods, compliance is more important for control/energy conservation.

The open chambers definitely have to be revalved to access this characteristic, but after riding both,

I have no reluctance to recommend a pre '05 to a woods guy, and prefer it for those wanting more compliance.

There's also the issue of the steel frame/open chamber forks possibly being more forgiving and

less harsh on rough woods ie. rocks/roots/ruts etc. For MX ie. jumps/high speed whoops, SSS is better and the aluminum frame

stiffness is a good thing. For rough woods, compliance is more important for control/energy conservation.

The open chambers definitely have to be revalved to access this characteristic, but after riding both,

I have no reluctance to recommend a pre '05 to a woods guy, and prefer it for those wanting more compliance.

You ever heard of someone swapping the OC forks onto a 05+? I've yet to get a set of twin chambers to perform well in the woods.

I find it funny how everyone praises the TC forks because they are "more advanced." More advanced does not mean they will work better. That is something the fourstroke crowd would buy into, wasn't it one of there main marketing points? :banana:

looks sweet, good candidate for your hurricane kit carver

Thanks, lol, that thought crossed my mind....

My girlfriend, Visa, is oh so nice to me

but it's that time of the month and she's not happy.... :eek:

You ever heard of someone swapping the OC forks onto a 05+? I've yet to get a set of twin chambers to perform well in the woods.

I find it funny how everyone praises the TC forks because they are "more advanced." More advanced does not mean they will work better. That is something the fourstroke crowd would buy into, wasn't it one of there main marketing points? :banana:

True. I think some of the good shops have gotten the SSS to work in the woods but it takes some effort.

Most of the KTM guys that do hard woods go with the revalved open chamber W forks vs. the XC/SX forks.

That being said, I think the KYB SSS forks are better than the WP TC's.

The things I noticed when comparing my revalved open chambers/steel frame to the stock SSS/aluminum frame were,

a)SSS had more initial stiction causing the initial hit to deflect wheel, b)SSS seemed to transmit more information back

which could be good for the track but bad when you're hitting rocks/roots/ruts with turning c)SSS took more energy

to ride and was more tired after a long loop. That's because I could just blitz obstacles with the OC's where the SSS

caused me to have to reposition myself or the bike because the lack of compliance would throw it/me off line.

Some of this could be due to the stiffer aluminum frame, but not sure how much.

I think Rick at Too-Tech has worked on getting the SSS's to work well in the woods as has Mx-Tech

but I haven't ridden them. I really like my Too-Tech open chambers though.

To go backwards I guess you'd have to get the triples for an '04, I think '05 is when they went 48mm?

Edited by carver

You mean like these

IMG_0561.jpg

04 YZF 48mm OC forks revalved and resprung running in 05 Pro-Taper triple clamps:smirk: