DRZ 400 Lowering Links - Threaded Style from Soupysperformance

Hello, 1st post here!

I'm going to be the proud owner of a 2006 DRZ400S next week and want to lower the suspension abit. I can tip toe on both feet, but it's a stretch. I'm only 5'-8" , 175#.

Originally looking at Koubalinks, but came across turnbuckle style from soupysperformance:

http://www.soupysperformance.com/catalog/item/4408900/7866867.htm

They adjust from stock to 4". I probably won't do more than 1.5".

Any reviews on these or people here that have tried them? I think I'd slather the threads with anti-seize.

Thanks!

i don't know this stuff, can't say anything good or bad about it but: i wouldn't take it :banana:

Lowering has to be done rear and front. the DRZ has a pretty soft front so going down just with the rear makes it even worse.

Lowering usually is done with spacers and can be done when servicing fork and shock without much additional costs.

i'd suggest to talk to a suspension tuner of your least suspiciousness and talk it over with him.

Here in the forum there are, among others, eg DaveJ, rks1 if you want to drop them a line...

i don't know this stuff, can't say anything good or bad about it but: i wouldn't take it :banana:

Lowering has to be done rear and front. the DRZ has a pretty soft front so going down just with the rear makes it even worse.

Lowering usually is done with spacers and can be done when servicing fork and shock without much additional costs.

i'd suggest to talk to a suspension tuner of your least suspiciousness and talk it over with him.

Here in the forum there are, among others, eg DaveJ, rks1 if you want to drop them a line...

Read all sorts of opinions either way, planning to raise what I can on the front, the bike has bar risers. Up to an inch to slide on the forks. Read that more than that and they'll scrape when bottoming.

Looking for first or second hand experience with these. The selling point for me is they're adjustable from stock up to ruining your bike and rider. The bad is they're heavy.

Skip links, have the shock and forks internally lowered.

If you absolute can not afford to do it that way, then try the lowering links, ,, but go with a solid style like the Kubalink.

The links take all kinds of rock hits off road, get covered in mud, pelted with gravel.

Not what I would want a threaded fastener exposed to.

"adjustable" links that you can "raise and lower your bike" with are just a gimmick IMHO.... Ask those with links on, how often, if ever they were "raising and lowering" the bike....

Skip links, have the shock and forks internally lowered.

If you absolute can not afford to do it that way, then try the lowering links, ,, but go with a solid style like the Kubalink.

The links take all kinds of rock hits off road, get covered in mud, pelted with gravel.

Not what I would want a threaded fastener exposed to.

"adjustable" links that you can "raise and lower your bike" with are just a gimmick IMHO.... Ask those with links on, how often, if ever they were "raising and lowering" the bike....

Wanting and affording vs. needing and affording are two separate things! :banana:

I'm impressed with the quality, the turnbuckle design with locknuts seems solid. With a good coat of anti-seize, I don't think I'd worry.

Still like to hear from first hand experience...

• 1 month later...

I went with what everyone recommended and put DRZ2 Kouba's on my 06 DR-Z400S.

Now I'm thinking they're too low! perhaps I need to get used to it, but it just lost that feeling of never ending travel on the rear.

Which leads to another question - did I lose any suspension travel by installing them? Looking at the linkage system I'd say no, it simply rotated the swingarm movement up by 1.25".

Almost wish I had gone with the original idea, but Kouba is the real deal and they've got fantastic customer service. perhaps I'll be ordering the DRZ1 links if I don't get to likin' these.

I should mention, my front forks are up by 1.1" (measureed with a caliper). My handlebars will let me go another .15" if I so desire.