How much can i expect to pay to get my valves adjusted

Really, theres a great backwoods mech that is really cheap, however hes busy for the next few days. Called the local yamaha dealer, they said it could be up to 4-5 hours of work, and the local kawi dealer said expect to pay around 150, LOL....Think ill wait a few days and take it to the backwoods mechanic.

he shouldn't have to pay for any parts they should just swap out the valve shims.
Maybe at the stealership or large shop that has a complete inventory of spare pads. I myself to be cost effective, pick them up as needed. Maybe that is why they want to charge him $150 or 5 hours at $75+ an hour.

I would say buy a manual, and a set of feeler gauges, and do it yourself in the garage in 90 minutes the first time because you're going slow, and 30 minutes every other time...

+1 learn your new bike so the dealership can't take advantage of you. I'd also recommend to steer clear of that dealership that told to you it would take 4-5 hrs or work to do that, either they are completely incompetent and shouldn't be working on bicycles or they are taking advantage of a person that doesn't know any better

Really, theres a great backwoods mech that is really cheap, however hes busy for the next few days. Called the local yamaha dealer, they said it could be up to 4-5 hours of work, and the local kawi dealer said expect to pay around 150, LOL....Think ill wait a few days and take it to the backwoods mechanic.

if the mechanic is reputable then go for it. its not that hard if your mechanicly inclined and know what the valve clearances are. checking them is the easy part. if you have to adjust them then it gets a little harder.

Maybe at the stealership or large shop that has a complete inventory of spare pads. I myself to be cost effective, pick them up as needed. Maybe that is why they want to charge him $150 or 5 hours at $75+ an hour.

my local shops all just have those hotcams shim kits. you can buy them yourself but their like 80. I dont buy them or take my bike to the shop. Id adjust my valves myself but all the decimals and zeros mess me up. luckily my dad can do it fairly easily.

my local shops all just have those hotcams shim kits. you can buy them yourself but their like 80. I dont buy them or take my bike to the shop. Id adjust my valves myself but all the decimals and zeros mess me up. luckily my dad can do it fairly easily.
More like $250 by the time you buy the 7.48, 8.90 and 9.48 kit. But in the long run you would save money getting the kits, $3.50-4.50 each does add up.

If you can find somone that has been riding bikes for a while and does their own work its defanitly not a hard thing. My friend has shimmed 6 bikes just this year.

A little bit off topic but... My dad just bought a 2006 yz 250f at an auction for dirt cheap. He took it to the yamaha dealer to get it tuned up and ready to ride and they saw that the bike hasent had the vin punched for the valve recall for 2006 bikes! We didnt know 2006's had a factory recall on the valves. So we get a FREE valve replacement on a 4 year old bike!

Ok. You asked for pricing, not a how to, but I just can't see taking my bike to a dealer for valve check or shim. If you own a 4-stroke, you should learn how to at least check them. Just take your time and learn.

Follow the manual and check them first. It's a Yamaha, unless they tightened up after break in (mine did a little) they're probably fine. If they are out, shims are cheap, just get the ones you need. Get a torque wrench. Just follow the manual and it's pretty straight forward. The hardest part is getting the cams back in and timed correctly (dots lined up make it real easy to tell), kinda have to figure out how to roll them into the chain just right.

More like $250 by the time you buy the 7.48, 8.90 and 9.48 kit. But in the long run you would save money getting the kits, $3.50-4.50 each does add up.

ha I thought there were more than just those size kits. but yeah if your only doing your own bikes then just get the shims as needed. My pops started to do all his friends bikes, mine, my friends, and and ended up buying one of the kits(not sure which size, probably which ever one fits the most Honda's lol) since it saved him time and money from driving to the shop every time he wanted to swap out the old shims.

I charge my buddies a case of beer and make them do the work while I supervise.

:eek:

Now look at them yo-yo's,

that's the way you do it

You play the guitar on the MTV

That ain't workin' that's the way you do it

Money for nothin' and your chicks for free

Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it

Lemme tell ya them guys ain't dumb

Maybe get a blister on your little finger

Maybe get a blister on your thumb

:banana:

­čśë