carb-filter boot problem!

Hello, i'm a newb... I have 89 rm125, and a 97 rmx250... both powervalves and great bikes.... but both have the same problem, especially the 250: on the back of the carb, the lip that the boot is supposed to be clamped to is so insanely SMALL... and the boot is always falling off the carb and sucking in dirt:banghead: . I've thought about maybe deleting the air box and just going with a direct filter, but I'd still have the same problem of keeping it on there (besides, I like the box for possible mud spalshes)... It seems like there is a groove in the rubber boot that slips over the "lip" of the carb, but it still falls off after the easiest little ride... what is the secrete to keeping it on there. any help would be appreciated :banana:

Let me guess, the rubber boot is hard as a rock, right? If thats the case mihylo's heavy clamp will help and also you may want to use an exacta knife or a dremal tool with a sanding drum on it, and slowly trim a little at a time, all the way around the boot so it will slide on better. If you can find some wounder chemical to soften the rubber would be good to, but I have not found this miracle chemical that will work. You may also want to try a heat gun and then mash it around to help soften it up. I think I would try the heat gun first. Good luck.

Let me guess, the rubber boot is hard as a rock, right? If thats the case mihylo's heavy clamp will help and also you may want to use an exacta knife or a dremal tool with a sanding drum on it, and slowly trim a little at a time, all the way around the boot so it will slide on better. If you can find some wounder chemical to soften the rubber would be good to, but I have not found this miracle chemical that will work. You may also want to try a heat gun and then mash it around to help soften it up. I think I would try the heat gun first. Good luck.

CRC or wd40 softens them up. once you start you cant stop.

Be nice to find a chemical that would get it soft and stay soft. Seams like when you use a chemical on it and it does soften the rubber, but after a few weeks it turns harder then it was before. Even if you found a use one on e-bay it would be hard rubber. You can just work it around by hand and it should get soft enough to mount on the carb, but it will harden up in a few days. Get it to go on the carb and put the big ass clamp on it and go ride. Hell yal :banana:

:eek: .. wow.. I can't believe i'm the only one with this problem... The boot rubber is fine, I can slide it on fine, it just doesn't stay on because there is nothing there that I can squeeze the clamp with!!:banana:.. I almost feel like there is a piece missing on the back of the carb... I've been trying to find another carb like it on the net to show what it looks like.. but they all have nearly 1\2 inch of the tube sticking off the back.... Mine literally only has barely 1\8 of an inch... which I can make the rubber swallow the top half of the carb.. but as it circles around near the bowl at the bottom, it actually runs flush with the casing with barely 1\16th pertruding out.. How am I supposed to put a clamp on that??? If I tighten the clamp too much, it actually pulls it off itself.. I just don't get it... I've been ebay'in carbs.. any suggestions on what I can swap it with?? thanks.

:eek: .. wow.. I can't believe i'm the only one with this problem... The boot rubber is fine, I can slide it on fine, it just doesn't stay on because there is nothing there that I can squeeze the clamp with!!:banana:.. I almost feel like there is a piece missing on the back of the carb... I've been trying to find another carb like it on the net to show what it looks like.. but they all have nearly 1\2 inch of the tube sticking off the back.... Mine literally only has barely 1\8 of an inch... which I can make the rubber swallow the top half of the carb.. but as it circles around near the bowl at the bottom, it actually runs flush with the casing with barely 1\16th pertruding out.. How am I supposed to put a clamp on that??? If I tighten the clamp too much, it actually pulls it off itself.. I just don't get it... I've been ebay'in carbs.. any suggestions on what I can swap it with?? thanks.

WHOA! something doesnt sound right?????

streetbike carbs in pic.

http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor01.html

airbox boot

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?category=3&manufacturer=5&year=1997&model=2004

Cab diagram

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?category=3&manufacturer=5&year=1997&model=2004

• 11 months later...

late update... I bought a cr250 carb from the same year (96) and put it on my rmx250, the jetting went up a little on the main and down a little on the pilot... but now I dont' have the mysterious small lip carb?? and I don't have any problems with the boot coming off..

I also put on a torque spacer in front of the carb so it would sit even closer to the airbox boot.. so between these two changes, it works great.