KTM 300 xcw

Im not a huge fan of 2 strokes, but i have riden a yz125, and a cr250r, and the 250 has a big noticable power difference, depending on your skill level id say you would be fine just take it easy your first couple times, untill you are used to the power, and get a good feel for the bike, Also just switching from a honda to a ktm may need some getting used to. I went from a crf250 straight to a ktm 525sx, it look me about 2-3 rides untill i got used to the bike and used to the amount of power it put out. I to really like the ktm 300, but i opted for the crf450, beacuse im a 4storke person, but the ktm 300 is a great bike with plenty of power, just be careful your first few rides.

Hope that helps

You won't believe how easy it is for you to ride. You won't have to ride the clutch like you are used to, shift constantly, or in general whip it like a rented mule. I was suprised how gentle the 300 was (maybe too gentle). I think 125's are hard to ride, personally.

You won't believe how easy it is for you to ride. You won't have to ride the clutch like you are used to, shift constantly, or in general whip it like a rented mule. I was suprised how gentle the 300 was (maybe too gentle). I think 125's are hard to ride, personally.

Agreed. It's easier to ride than a 125. You'll be introduced to new concept "lugging".

Edited by MrSmooth

The 300's power is so adjustable, you can make it mild or wild through jetting, gearing and different power valve springs and you can even adjust the tension on those power valve springs for different effects.

I had mine where the throttle was way too twitchy, so I put two turns in on the Red PV spring and now I don't feel like I'm going to eat a tree when I hit a bump and my throttle hand moves ever so slightly.

I think they're easy to ride, they're light, flickable( I came off of a XR650L:smirk:)and the motor just pulls and pulls and pulls.

There are two things that I think are paramount right off the bat though.

1). the stock seat is like sitting on a 3" strip of steel. I know, I know, you're supposed to stand, but I can't stand for 170 miles. There are many aftermarket seats out there. Enduro Engineering, Siccass, etc. I mention these guys cause they are from Michigan.:banana:

2).The stock silencer is NOT a spark arrested silencer, so if you plan to ride it in the woods, you will need to address this. Do not get a Sparky that has a screen, screens don't seem to work well with 2t's, they plug up.

I was out trail riding the other day and I met a guy with that exact bike. I was talking with him about it and he asked if I wanted to try it. I was like seriously? He said yeah, ride it for as long as you want. Uh, ok, twist my arm. I have never ridden a 2 stroke and have been wanting to try one. He had this thing dialed in for technical trails. I ride an xr250r so I was a little apprehensive about the 2 stroke power I'd heard about. I took it easy for a little bit to get used to it. I went back down the trail I had just come up. About halfway back up I started to get on it. Sweet mama, that thing was nice! It hit like my liter street bike. It made me weep a little bit. :eek: I was thinking about re-boring my xr to a 280(and maybe I still will), but DAMN, that KTM is sweet. I probably need some more dirt experience before I step up to that, because that kind of power can get you in trouble fast on tight stuff. If I get another bike though, that will be the one.:banana:

I was out trail riding the other day and I met a guy with that exact bike. I was talking with him about it and he asked if I wanted to try it. I was like seriously? He said yeah, ride it for as long as you want. Uh, ok, twist my arm. I have never ridden a 2 stroke and have been wanting to try one. He had this thing dialed in for technical trails. I ride an xr250r so I was a little apprehensive about the 2 stroke power I'd heard about. I took it easy for a little bit to get used to it. I went back down the trail I had just come up. About halfway back up I started to get on it. Sweet mama, that thing was nice! It hit like my liter street bike. It made me weep a little bit. 😉 I was thinking about re-boring my xr to a 280(and maybe I still will), but DAMN, that KTM is sweet. I probably need some more dirt experience before I step up to that, because that kind of power can get you in trouble fast on tight stuff. If I get another bike though, that will be the one.:banana:

WOW, you're a lucky guy for some stranger to just let you ride his 300. I'm wierd about riding other people's bike as well as letting others ride my scoots. I'd been reading about the 300 since 2008, ended up with the XR650L figuring the 300 would not be a good bike for me to learn on......so I went with a 350# dirt bike, go figure. I'm glad I did that instead of getting the lighter faster 300.

I had a guy on a Suzuki RMX 250 2t tell me it felt more top heavy than his bike. I told him, after coming off of a XR650L, EVERYTHING else feels lighter to me.🤣

Another guy has a CR250 and after riding my 300, he's bound and determined to get a 300 for himself. I like how easy they are to make street legal. All the wiring is right there, just plug and play, I like that.:eek:

WOW, you're a lucky guy for some stranger to just let you ride his 300. I'm wierd about riding other people's bike as well as letting others ride my scoots.

Totally, I couldn't believe it! Especially in Cali where your always wondering what angle someone is working on.:eek: Only thing I can figure is he said he saw me staging in the same area and knew I had to take the same trail to get where he was. Based on that, he must have felt I was competent. But still, yeah, I sure felt weird getting on his bike. :banana:

My buddy just got one and I have been on it a few times in the desert and the track. It is a very nice bike to ride. The low end power is amazing and there is torque everywhere. I ride a YZ 250, so the two stroke difference wasn't a problem, but it really almost rode like a four stroke. The slightest flick of my wrist had the thing doing wheelies, and I wasn't shifting/searching for gears since the thing pulled really low and wound out really high.

I am not a pumpkin lover, but that thing made me hate them a little less.

I was out trail riding the other day and I met a guy with that exact bike. I was talking with him about it and he asked if I wanted to try it. I was like seriously? He said yeah, ride it for as long as you want. Uh, ok, twist my arm. I have never ridden a 2 stroke and have been wanting to try one. He had this thing dialed in for technical trails. I ride an xr250r so I was a little apprehensive about the 2 stroke power I'd heard about. I took it easy for a little bit to get used to it. I went back down the trail I had just come up. About halfway back up I started to get on it. Sweet mama, that thing was nice! It hit like my liter street bike. It made me weep a little bit. :eek: I was thinking about re-boring my xr to a 280(and maybe I still will), but DAMN, that KTM is sweet. I probably need some more dirt experience before I step up to that, because that kind of power can get you in trouble fast on tight stuff. If I get another bike though, that will be the one.:banana:

Forget about the 280 kit. It will never be as sweet as the 300. I had an '86 XR 280 and it was a little faster than stock but no lighter and not quicker revving. The 300 XC is a sweet bike for 2 stroke newbies because it is very much like a 4 stroke. If you like the KTM, can afford the KTM, get the KTM.