Messy Jetting on Bottom 02 RM250!!!

Hi,

'

my 02' Rm sounds like a POS when I'm riding it easy. Its a trail bike so the bottom needs to be cleaner.

stock N8RH needle, pos #3

42 pilot tried choke to see if it would help. nope. the 45 was messy too.(when I test rode the bike 1st time)

168 main, came down from a 175, i think i will go back up for the top end was cutting short.

air screw is about 1.5 turns

RIding terrain is seal level to about 2500 max elevation

85 degrees

0-1/8 throttle range, messy messy

1/8 to 1/4 cleans up and pulls pretty strong

1/4 to 1/2 still pretty clean and strong the mid range is very good right now. 1/2 - 3/4 throttle seems to cut out, like a sock is stuck in the carb!

3/4 to top still the more of the same bog like erratic cutting short.

What do you guys think is the next step, go even leaner on pilot, or try the clip 4 position? i have a jd blue needle for the bike, the red one is in the 05' rm 250.

Please help, no searches had any info different from what I have tried already.

I think I should try a different needle!??? or even a 40 pilot. i've not seen anyone on here use a 40.

You shouldn't have to go below a 38 or 40. I use a 40 PJ now that it's hot outside (I move up to a 42 when the temps get cooler) and that's with a slide that's cut a size leaner (which I recommend BTW).

BUT I see you're having issues with the top end of things. I'm assuming you've cleaned out the carb really well? Also, if you've got an SST pipe on that bike that could be your problem. I got rid of mine, I couldn't jet that worth a flip.

The links to the threads show some really good pics for adjusting float level and some good tips but I'd take the advice that states you must start with the pilot with a grain of salt, it doesn't make that much difference.

So one thing at a time. Assuming you don't have the SST . . . if your carb is clean and your float level good, try dropping the main one or two more sizes.

i set my 02 to pro-circuits recommended 162main, 48 pilot, stock needle, stock power jet, 2nd position from top on needle. 2 turns out on air screw.

It is perfect in 30-60 degrees with this setting. Its a freaking tractor/lugs easy compared to my 06 but the 06 has much more power in the upper 1/3 rpms.

now that im riding it mostly in 75-105 degrees weather, a 45 pilot with 1.5 turnsn out on air screw has it running well and staying clean when being lugged.

something must be wrong with my particular biike. tried 48 pilot down to a 38 and it still ran like crap. raised the clip also still no real results

the jd blue with a 45 seemed the best.

i'm pretty much over this bike. it was the hardest time i think i have ever had in the trails today.

Where is the choke knob turned out to? Turn it all the way in then 12 clicks back out. Turning it in leans out the mix and turning it out richens it. That system effects the bottom end from closed to 3/8 open. (So the manual says) Do a chop test to see if you have the correct main jet as per the FAQ at the top. What about the air filter? Clean? Good compression?

Where is the choke knob turned out to? Turn it all the way in then 12 clicks back out. Turning it in leans out the mix and turning it out richens it. That system effects the bottom end from closed to 3/8 open. (So the manual says) Do a chop test to see if you have the correct main jet as per the FAQ at the top. What about the air filter? Clean? Good compression?

I keep forgetting about that stupid choke knob on the earlier RMs.

Never heard of an adjustable choke knob! clean filter, compression is pretty decent. I adjusted the choke knob, it was only turned out two turns. After 12 turns nothing significant, after twice that many turns, the idle came up. I'll have the carb cleaned. I noticed a white film buildup. could just be dirty

THanks!

Edited by shaheeb