Think I want a Husaberg 570, KTM 530, or the like?

-Looking for a late model Husaberg 570, KTM 530, or the like -

Hello all. I’m currently riding an ’03 KLX 400: With 3X3, JD jetted, Ohlins Forks :banana:, 10,000 mile, SM and Dirt wheel set ups, and LOADS of sentimental value!!! I don’t want to get rid of it..... However.... I find myself in need of more.....well.... everything! :eek:

My riding style is as follows: I ride off road a lot in the spring! 20% dirt road, 80% moderately difficult woods single track. I take around 2 major desert trips a year. (my favorite!) The rest of the time (mostly summer and fall) I ride my SM set up. I do not race, but I ride very hard and fast on the road. Usually 4 times a week, 100 miles or so a ride. I live in Hood River, OR and am surrounded by an ton of amazing twisties. ?

I don’t want 2 bikes. I want a mostly dirt/enduro style bike with an “easy to switch to” SM set up. Something that is light on general maintenance and will hold up to the ton of miles I will put on it. I’m ok with a moderately heavy bike, just don’t want to step up into the 690 type area. Oh yeah, and I’d like to keep it under $6000 if possible? (depending on how much I can get for my bike?) Yeah, I want it all.

Help me! Please. Any and all advice would be appreciated!

-Brandon-

How about a Husky TE610/630(?). The maintenance difference between what you a riding now and well at least the 530 would be significant. I think the 610 would be more of a middle ground maintenance vs performance.

How about a Husky TE610/630(?). The maintenance difference between what you a riding now and well at least the 530 would be significant. I think the 610 would be more of a middle ground maintenance vs performance.

What's the weight and maintenance difference between the 610 and the 570 berg? The Berg is the bike I really want, if the maintenance isn't crazy.../

Have you considered the 525RS Beta....runs the super reliable RFS motor but will require a little more maintenance than your KLX..like all the exotics. I put 12,000 miles on my DRZ and switched to the Beta....very big improvement and worth a little extra maintenance...1000 mile valve checks takes about 45 minutes.

The Husky 610 is a different class of bike from the KTM 530 or Husaberg 570 - it is much heavier and is a dual sport with less performance and less maintenance needs. The new 630 is even heavier. Both are closer to the KTM 690 in size and weight.

If you want a light Husky dirt bike then consider the TE510 instead.

My Husaberg is a good all around dirt bike that can also double as an SM. Maintenance for the KTM or the Husaberg will be higher, but they are not that finicky. Some people have put a lot of miles on the Hussy, but not like the kind of miles put on the Husky 610/630.

Good luck finding a new gen Husaberg for $6000. You can find some good deals on new bikes that are the '09 or '10 model years as the 2011 model year bikes should be hitting the showroom any day now. Note that the '09 is not FMVSS certified, so this may be an issue with getting a plate in Oregon. The 2010 is 50 state EPA certified (the difference between a 'closed course' or red sticker bike, and a 'green sticker' bike), but not FMVSS certified. The 2011 FE/FS 570 *is* 50 state street legal (EPA/FMVSS certified).

What's the weight and maintenance difference between the 610 and the 570 berg? The Berg is the bike I really want, if the maintenance isn't crazy.../

The Husky 610 has a claimed weight of 310 pounds dry. The Husabergs (390/450/570) have a claimed dry weight of 240 pounds. Two different class bikes.

The Husaberg maintenance isn't crazy, but it is more frequent.

The Husky 610 has a claimed weight of 310 pounds dry. The Husabergs (390/450/570) have a claimed dry weight of 240 pounds. Two different class bikes.

The Husaberg maintenance isn't crazy, but it is more frequent.

the bergs and KTM (390, 450 570 bergs and 400 450 and 530 ktms) are all around the 270ish mark wet which isnt that bad

we've got an 08 KTM 450 with 9'500 miles on it which is just in need of a piston and bore replate, maintenance on it has been engine oil every 40 hours, gear oil twice in it's life, air filter maybe once every 3 months? once a month in summer, needless to say my father who was convinced the service intervals would "be right" since his old yammi TT500 never needed the oil changed, i'm confident it would have lasted much longer if looked after better, since the berg engine is based on the KTM's after all i'd say either would be very reliable.

the bergs and KTM (390, 450 570 bergs and 400 450 and 530 ktms) are all around the 270ish mark wet which isnt that bad

we've got an 08 KTM 450 with 9'500 miles on it which is just in need of a piston and bore replate, maintenance on it has been engine oil every 40 hours, gear oil twice in it's life, air filter maybe once every 3 months? once a month in summer, needless to say my father who was convinced the service intervals would "be right" since his old yammi TT500 never needed the oil changed, i'm confident it would have lasted much longer if looked after better, since the berg engine is based on the KTM's after all i'd say either would be very reliable.

40hrs between oil changes?

Don't forget that these motors only run about a litre of oil. The oil, therefore, gets worked hard. So use the best and change every 15 hours or so.

BF

40hrs between oil changes?

Don't forget that these motors only run about a litre of oil. The oil, therefore, gets worked hard. So use the best and change every 15 hours or so.

BF

1.3 to 1.4 liters.

I think if you are not riding the bike hard then oil changes probably don't need to be done quite that often, but it doesn't hurt.

Changing the oil is pretty easy though.

Thanks everyone. Good info. :banana:

Still curious about the Head shake difference between the Berg 570 and KTM 530 in SM trim, if any? The KTM was a bit more than I care for and I havn't been able to ride a Berg with SM wheels.

The new Husabergs are very 'flickable' - some think too much. My bike was a bit twitchy at highway speed when I first got it - I think most of that is due to the the knobbies and the fact that I am well over the weight the bike is setup for; I am 6'6" and 260# - the bike is setup for someone closer to 160 to 180 pounds. Hence when I am sitting the front end is probably a bit light.

Also, Husaberg changed some of the front end geometry in 2010 and 2011 to make it not so twitchy.

I put a steering stabilizer on it and that helped on the pavement and was even better off-road. I need to get springs for my weight and have the suspension setup too.

But I never experienced head shake - it just seems the front end is light due to my weight.

I am planning on getting SM wheels and probably setting the forks up in the clamps to bring the front end down when running the SM wheels. I changed the oil in the stabilizer to the lightest fork oil I could find and that made it just about right on pavement - previously the steering was a bit slow and stiff on the lightest setting.