Is it legal for a 14 year to ride plated bike offroad?

My son is almost 14 and is moving off his beloved CR80 and up to a 250 + sized bike. I'd like him to get a plated / street legal bike so he'd have one for DS rides, and I'd have a buddy bike.

Then the wife asks, " Is it legal for him to ride a plated bike off road?" I think yes, she thinks no. Debate then spins into, "well I bet he can't drive the truck off road... " (oops!)

Anyhow, please let me know your opinions on if it's legal for him to ride a plated bike offroad. (Obviously the street would be illegal 'till he gets his license)

Thanks!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forrest Roads are legal roadways & if you need a plated bike to ride them...you need a MC license endorsement. See several youngsters do it, don't advertise his age & IMHO go ahead. We have enough BS reguations & rules in this country, especially if he's just connecting trails on FS roads.

Thats only if he is on a maintained forest road. Trails dont count so if he is technically off road and not a county maintained road he is fine. And for what its worth when I was 14 my dad was teaching me how to drive his truck and we were out in farm fields (with permission) and a sherrif stopped me in the field,his only concern was if we had permission and we did. He stated as long as I was able to safely reach all the pedals and shifter and did not leave the field He could not cite me for driving the truck. Of course this was the late 80s not sure how it would go over nowadays.

Off road is not ok, unless the bike is currently green stickerd along with the plate.

green sticker = off highway can't ride a County Rd or a ML3 road (according to the stupid FS)

Green sticker and plate= NO DL needed to ride it off road

plate only= must have all street equipment on, license, ins and reg ON YOU. ok to ride off road or on any other road that a vehicle can travel.

You guys think too much.

Off road is not ok, unless the bike is currently green stickerd along with the plate.

green sticker = off highway can't ride a County Rd or a ML3 road (according to the stupid FS)

Green sticker and plate= NO DL needed to ride it off road

plate only= must have all street equipment on, license, ins and reg ON YOU. ok to ride off road or on any other road that a vehicle can travel.

You guys think too much.

I just checked this out with my U.S.F.S. ranger neighbor, and he agrees with the no-license statement, as the bike isn't being operated as a plated vehicle.

Also, make sure you have a fmf sticker on your muffler, thats the approved endorsement for a spark arrestor up in los padres. The fact that the words "usfs approved spark arrestor" stamped into the side of the muffler, and the screen, or the actual screen being in there doesnt matter.

All three bikes had 100% legal spark arrested mufflers by the way. Not ratty bikes either, all in three perfect visual, and mechanical shape.

"It has to have a sticker that says "fmf" on it to be legal"

No probing, totally disregarding the actual screen (with the words "approved usfs spark arrestor") obviously in sight. Nope, Her exact words were "I look for the sticker that says fmf, anyone can stamp anything onto the muffler, anyone can put a screen on there, but I look for fmf sticker, thats how I know its a spark arrestor".

She also hinted that we, stamped the words on there ourselves. I couldnt believe what I was hearing, but 100% true. Happened two weeks ago.

Good luck out there.

Also, make sure you have a fmf sticker on your muffler, thats the approved endorsement for a spark arrestor up in los padres. The fact that the words "usfs approved spark arrestor" stamped into the side of the muffler, or the actual screen being in there doesnt matter. All three bikes had 100% legal spark arrested mufflers by the way. Not ratty bikes either, all in three perfect visual, and mechanical shape.

"It has to have a sticker that says "fmf" on it to be legal"

No probing, totally disregarding the actual screen obviously in sight. Nope, Here exact words were "I look for the sticker that says fmf, anyone can stamp anything onto the muffler, anyone can put a screen on there, but I look for fmf sticker, thats how I know its a spark arrestor".

She also hinted that we, stamped the words on there ourselves. I couldnt believe what I was hearing, buts 100% true. Happened two weeks ago.

Good luck out there.

FMF? Please elaborate.

Its a popular muffler company. All three of us had fmf spark arrested mufflers. Two fmf 4.1 mufflers, and a turbine core. That line "it has to say fmf" has become a inside joke with my group now.

Edited by Fasz Kalap
typos. keyboard dying

Its a popular muffler company. That line "it has to say fmf" has become a inside joke with my group now.

I know what FMF is.:banana: My 500's both have one. I just wasn't aware that they were the only company that made approved spark arrestors. Was she joking? We HAVE had to show paperwork on our turbine-core units to some of the less-educated at the gates. ("Hey, no screen on this bike").

I dunno...I hope she was, but...I have a feeling she actually believed what she was saying.

Unfortunately, you may be right. We have had issues with a few of them that should have been cleared up on their first day on the job. (Maybe it was).

Also, make sure you have a fmf sticker on your muffler, thats the approved endorsement for a spark arrestor up in los padres. The fact that the words "usfs approved spark arrestor" stamped into the side of the muffler, and the screen, or the actual screen being in there doesnt matter.

All three bikes had 100% legal spark arrested mufflers by the way. Not ratty bikes either, all in three perfect visual, and mechanical shape.

".

you don't need to have a name brand on your pipe, that is ludicrous. If it is stamped usfs approved, its approved, thats the purpose of the STAMP.:banana:

You got the persons name?

OK thanks anyhow for the info. That's sort of what I thought the answer was. But on the bike, seems like it boils down to the definition of "off road".

And I guess when he was 10 and I let him do donuts on a dry lake bed in my suburban we were in violation of the law. I just figured it would be good if he knew how to drive, just in case he actually ever had to..

Cheers to all!

OK thanks anyhow for the info. That's sort of what I thought the answer was. But on the bike, seems like it boils down to the definition of "off road".

And I guess when he was 10 and I let him do donuts on a dry lake bed in my suburban we were in violation of the law. I just figured it would be good if he knew how to drive, just in case he actually ever had to..

Cheers to all!

Pretty sure it's perfectly legal as long as you kept him off of public roads.