transhition

my 05 crf 250 r has probablems in third it had third for a whyle but then it just wont stay in third it jumps out in second i had the external shift parts replaced but now i think its the gear dogs. now when i looked at the parts cataloge it has a main shaft and a counter shaft wich i believe has all 5 gears on both. im going to replace third and fifth but do i have to replave both thirds and fifths:banghead: im not verry good at the tranny stuff but please can you guys help me i dont want to spend money on 2 sets of gears if i dont halfto:bonk: btw i cant spell.

Not necessarily. It may be the dogs on just one of the fifths and one of the thirds that are worn but you would have to replace the gears that the worn dogs mate to. Usually if a dog is worn so is the hole that it goes into.

well i checked with my local shpo today and the news is its guna be a bitch to take apart some what and its gunna cost me 300 bones est:foul: so i wont be riding for a whyle:ride::banana::eek:. right now im just scratching my head and hoping its the shift drum ill find out this weekend. wish me luck.

well i checked with my local shpo today and the news is its guna be a bitch to take apart some what and its gunna cost me 300 bones est:foul: so i wont be riding for a whyle:ride::banana::eek:. right now im just scratching my head and hoping its the shift drum ill find out this weekend. wish me luck.

Good luck! Hopefully it's the shift drum and you'll get off cheap! If you have my luck, expect the worst.

A problem with the shifter "star" and detent roller usually cause problems in all gears.

The shift drum itself almost NEVER causes a problem, but can occasionally be chipped as a RESULT of a problem. Take it apart first and let someone experienced look at them. But plan on at least two gears and one shift fork. A jumping gear almost ALWAYS damages the fork that controls it. Try getting off cheap and you'll damage your brand-new gears, do the fork.:banana:

i had the ratchet pawls and shift bstar and all that replaved but it would jump out of all gears i belive if it was that. tonite ill tear into my bike and maby tomoro ill know what went on. ill try to post picts. i like you guys already:worthy:

well i tor off the right cove and clutch pack and i looked at the shift star and its got 2 rounded off groovs. do you guys think thats it!!!!:eek::banana: i really hope so, ill replace it and try it:ride:😉 if it is than...🤣 yay! happy ending!!!!

It's a good possibility that's causing your problem. Sometimes you wouldn't think something wouldn't cause the problem, will. Here is the part number and roughly the price. Being that the center is worn, I'd replace the ratchet pawls also. When you replace it, make sure you use a screwdriver to hold back the drum stopper so the center sits in the right spot on the gear shift drum. There's a little pin that has to be ligned up correctly, and with pressure on the center from the drum stopper, you can easily put it in wrong. Use some red loctite on the shifter pin when you put it back together.

CENTER

24312-KA3-741 $50.89

PAWL B, RATCHET

24325-KA3-711 $10.38

PAWL A, RATCHET

24324-KA3-711 $10.38