Hurt thumb with a race on sunday need advice

Went riding about a week ago at a small little private track and banged myself up pretty hard. All ailments are seeming to heal fine but my thumb is still very sore/purple/painful etc. I can't bend it and have restricted movement in moving the entire thumb itself. I've been taking it easy so I'll be rested and recovered for a race I am entering on Saturday (hare scramble) but went for a quick ride yesterday and found that in the more technical rocky sections that my thumb was hurting/aching with every root/rock I hit.

What is your recommendation to do so I'll have minimal pain in my thumb? Like splint/glove combo or some sort of taping job. I'm sure I am not the first person to ride with a banged up thumb so if anyone has any useful wisdom to pass on it's greatly appreciated.

Before you do something that ruins your hand for life, what is wrong with your thumb? Did you go to the doc and get it x-rayed? It could be Just sprained or fractured or dislocated at any of the joints or you could have connective tissue damage. Since most men make their living with their hands in one way or the other and since we know you ride and probably want to continue doing so for many more years maybe you should lay off this race and let the injury actually heal. That way it won't become a Chronic problem and always bother you. Now before you take any of the above advice ("take 3 advil and 2 tylenol like an hour before the race") remember that all of those medications thin your blood. If you have a blood stream full of meds that thin it out and you get a serious cut, bang your head hard or take a hard blow to the mid-section you could be in real trouble.

First we need to know what is wrong before any advice is appropriate. RB