2011 ktm 150sx vs 2011 kx 250F

im just coming off of a CRF150R that i have outgrown. i i have never raced but mainly ride tracks but also trail ride. i am just beggining to get fast but i still dont really race, i just ride for fun and im really not sure what bike to get! i rode one of my buddys 150SXs and it was just a blast and i loved it but im afraid if im going to race i will not be competitive on the 2-stroke which brings me to the KX i like the four stroke and they are easier to ride but not as fun as the two smoker. and this being my first big bike and having to start working on it without help the two stroke would be easier to maintain and it is cheaper. any opionions wil be appriciated. thanks!

true isnt it around 40 HP at its peak? but isnt it harder to ride?

Sure, but didn't you just say you rode one and liked it? Its dirt biking is going to be hard is some way. If your worried about it being "hard" buy a quad lol. But seriously the 150sx is probably the best bike ever made I would buy one if I had the money and I'm 6 3 210 lbs

i have been riding a yz144 and kxf250. the 144 is like a lite switch its on and off, it might be easyer to ride due to the wieght factor but its harder to go faster with consitant lap times. one mistake sets you back seconds. with the 144 everthing happens fast and it a busy bike to ride,when getting back on the 250f everthing gets smoth and things seam to happen slower but my lap times are a few seconds faster. it was sweet to have both that 144 was a lot of fun ,took some time to get use to but had to give it back to the owner. if i a choice of only one it would be the 250f maybe one day we could aford to have both.

Ya that's kind of what I have Been hearing but when I rode the 150sx it wasnt too bad but it was only on the mx track at holister hills. I'm hoping to be able to ride the 150 again on a real big kind of tight track that will probably be the decider between the bikes still need advice though

I have owned both 250f and a 125 2t and I loved both for different reasons. If I had to go back and choose one - it would be a 125. It makes you a better rider and is just more fun for me. I imagine a 150 is even better, but never had a chance to try one (I'm moving up to a 250 2t this year). I also tried a 450 for some time, it's a lazy man's bike and it doesn't necessarily make you faster. Nothing puts it more into perspective than some kid blowing past you on a 125...

Also can't forget the cheaper maintenance, I always had nightmares about that 250f blowing up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

awesome dude. I got a 2011 150SX a month or so ago too and I was coming off the 2010 Honda CRF250R. I was able to sell the 250R and buy the 150SX for no additional money too. Can't beat that. It is true, this 150 puts a smile on your face that is tough to wipe off. The other guys talking about the 250 have a valid point as far as ease of riding and being able to be a little lazy in some ways, make mistakes, and still have consistent lap times. The 150 is less forgiving, but in the same way it makes you a better rider quicker. And it turns like nothing else. Pick your lines and the 150 will take you there. With the 250R I was having a lot of problems getting it to turn and I had to concentrate on technique a lot and weigh the front wheel and all that. with the 150 I just point and shoot. It really is that simple. That part of it, the turning, is easier for me at least on the 150. Keeping it in the power and on the pipe, and using the clutch and shifting and braking are all more intense on the 150. That is what makes you a better rider though, learning how to control those things in unison. I forgot how to use the rear brake with the 250CRF because it engine braked enough to never really need to use it in turns. The 150 requires clever braking, shifting, throttle and clutch use but it rewards you get it right. I am getting the suspension dialed in with stiffer springs front and rear and clicker settings. I am pretty happy with it but it does buck around and acts more nervous overall on consecutive bumps and chop and hacked out tracks. I know this can be made better too, and the CRF was not any better, but there are bikes out there that are. Such as the 450SXF KTM for one. Whole different bike there though and its weight has a good deal to do with that I believe. I will likely get a revalve front and rear in a few more months when companies have developed a good spec for it. Right now I feel it is too early to go headlong into suspension revalve and modification. Stock is not bad at all, but without at least stiffer fork springs, I was bottoming out the fork and bigger jumps and hits way too often. I went up one step front and rear to 0.44 kg/mm forks and 6.6 kg/mm shock. I had the 6.6 shock spring from my 200 KTM (it got a progressive spring) and I bought the 0.44 fork springs for $50 from a guy who replaced his stockers on a 300XC. $50 and the bike is much better.

awesome dude. I got a 2011 150SX a month or so ago too and I was coming off the 2010 Honda CRF250R. I was able to sell the 250R and buy the 150SX for no additional money too. Can't beat that. It is true, this 150 puts a smile on your face that is tough to wipe off. The other guys talking about the 250 have a valid point as far as ease of riding and being able to be a little lazy in some ways, make mistakes, and still have consistent lap times. The 150 is less forgiving, but in the same way it makes you a better rider quicker. And it turns like nothing else. Pick your lines and the 150 will take you there. With the 250R I was having a lot of problems getting it to turn and I had to concentrate on technique a lot and weigh the front wheel and all that. with the 150 I just point and shoot. It really is that simple. That part of it, the turning, is easier for me at least on the 150. Keeping it in the power and on the pipe, and using the clutch and shifting and braking are all more intense on the 150. That is what makes you a better rider though, learning how to control those things in unison. I forgot how to use the rear brake with the 250CRF because it engine braked enough to never really need to use it in turns. The 150 requires clever braking, shifting, throttle and clutch use but it rewards you get it right. I am getting the suspension dialed in with stiffer springs front and rear and clicker settings. I am pretty happy with it but it does buck around and acts more nervous overall on consecutive bumps and chop and hacked out tracks. I know this can be made better too, and the CRF was not any better, but there are bikes out there that are. Such as the 450SXF KTM for one. Whole different bike there though and its weight has a good deal to do with that I believe. I will likely get a revalve front and rear in a few more months when companies have developed a good spec for it. Right now I feel it is too early to go headlong into suspension revalve and modification. Stock is not bad at all, but without at least stiffer fork springs, I was bottoming out the fork and bigger jumps and hits way too often. I went up one step front and rear to 0.44 kg/mm forks and 6.6 kg/mm shock. I had the 6.6 shock spring from my 200 KTM (it got a progressive spring) and I bought the 0.44 fork springs for $50 from a guy who replaced his stockers on a 300XC. $50 and the bike is much better.

Sounds like a match made in heaven to me! I've been really thinking about getting a 125/150 lately just because I miss my old yz125.

I think the 07 144SX would be a great bike - if you can get the deal you want then I would not hesitate. The 07 has the same stuff for the most part as the 08, 09, and 10 (and 11 for that matter). The suspension changed a bit over the years, but the fork and shock model are nearly identical; it is just the valving that has changed. Also, on the fork, they put in a bushing and seal set that produces less friction in '09. That kit can purchased from KTM spare parts catalog for about $100 if you go to munn's racing online. If you can install it yourself, great, otherwise you'll have you to pay another $100+ probably to get it installed by a suspension guy. Then the 07 fork will be roughly the same as the 09 up forks. The only other major difference I know of is that the fork springs are an odd size in the 07 Twin cartridge fork. They are not the same as some 08 and the 09-up forks that came on the XC and SX bikes. Not a problem other than needing to order the correct springs if you change the rate. Finally, the fork lower guards are the old style and the forks have snap rings rather than the plastic ring on the new forks where the sliders interface. Honestly I feel the new guards and plastic rings are more protective, but that comes at a cost of more rubbing and friction at that point in the fork. You can put the new stuff on the older fork and vice versa. The shocks have been upgraded over the years with valving, needles, #2 piston, and a new DCC (dual compression control) adjuster/valve stack but that is probably something a good tuner could work on too. Or just put the 09 DCC in the older shock but it is probably not even worth doing for the $250 it costs. Getting a revalve, along with the seal/bushing kit to the fork and shock will probably bring you to the same performance or better than the newest of the WP forks/PDS shocks on the latest bikes. There are a lot of companies who install needles that are telescopic or longer to make the damping more linear on the shock.

The 07 has a few other things about it that are different but they are minor.