drz400s + $1500 cash = what engine mods?

Hi All,

I have a 2003 drz400s that I've owned for a couple of years...last year I did some body mods: replaced turn signals with more off road suitable signals, pulled mirrors and replaced with hand guard mirrors, new gearing, and bought a second set of tires/rims for my once-a-month dirt rides....I also ride to work 2 or 3 times a week on the street, 30 miles one way, so I've kept the street tires/rims on most of the time.

Now I'm thinking about doing some mods to the engine, and I've put aside about $1500 give or take....what mods would you guys do for that amount? I'm thinking a new carb, new exhaust, and maybe hotter cams....looking for other opinions.

Thanks,

Tim

Talk to Eddie and make a plan. Pull the motor and send it to him for a BB, etc. You will NOT regret it. If you did the FCR, a BB, and cams, you would be thrilled. You could wait awhile on the exhaust if you needed to money wise, and then when you did, even better. :banana:

• TT Store Sales/Support

We will have more carb kits ready to ship in a few days. This mod alone is the single best increase in driveability you can make. I would do that first before anything else. As others have stated big bore, cams and exhaust will all make a good difference. We can get you all of these in a short period of time and with free domestic ground shipping. :banana:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_keihin_drzfcrmx.htm

I've been wondering, and this seems like a good place to ask ... I have 20,000 miles on my 2006 400S. Seems to run as strong as ever. I did the 3x3, JD jets and MCCT, but no other engine mods. The question is, what is my prognosis? How much longer before I need to tear into the engine, and what will I need to do? If I want a big bore, does it make sense to put money into this engine, or sell the bike and start with something lower mileage?