Oil

Well I went to autozone today to get my mobil one v-twin oil and I noticed they carry filters for the 650L it's a fram ch6015 and it was 5.29 I picked one up , beats the dealer at 8 bucks. Just thought I'd let you guys know. Laters.

Personnely, I will never use a Fram oil filter on any machine....especially a high performance MC motor. Their quality, or lack thereof, has been questionable. Honda filters are of much higher quality, and that is why they're mo dough. If you want to save some money on filters, then shop around on the net and buy in bulk. I've found great prices on quality filters, if I buy 6 or so at a time. It's nice to have the convenience of stopping at a Autozone and getting a filter in an emergency though, so thanks for the headsup! K&N and Honda are my choices BTW.

The problem with those metal filters is that there is no way to clean them back to new.

There was a discussion on here a long time ago the involved a wind farm technician that used giant steel filters on the wind mills with all sorts of data logging. The short story is that even after ultrasonic cleaning the filters were still plugged up with whatever they are catching reducing flow and pressure. They had switched back to paper filters to ensure the health of the wind mill.

I see,,,Good wash in a bath of Kero would surely be good enough,,However if you don't think their any good fair enough. I know if they were cheaper I'd be using them..tad expensive down here to justify them to me...at your prices I'd have them on all three 600s.

Edited by Horri

New Bruinswick a Scottish enclave Brian...:-)

Clutch baskets still aren't done yet..I haven't forgotten..week or so I'll give him a yell to see what's happening.

Nope...Cape Breton..........and Nova Scotia i think Horri..........i got a newer clutch basket out of an 07 yesterday,,springs are loose in it too so i`d say it`s normal......but i wonder if they were tight if it would less some of the noise in the driveline............so i`d still like to know and possibly get it done.......

I`m lookimng into this though soon......:banana:

cush1.jpg

I`m going to go cush drive.........thinking gold hubs,stainless spokes,and black ano`d rims...............

Still think this bike shoulda had a cush drive OE..much nicer on the road,easier on chains,sprockets,trans gears.........

B

I like the Honda filters, but I'm going to check other options since the dealer I go to raised the price from $4.95 a piece to 9.95. :banana: I'd use a Fram if I already had one(and it actually fit...too long?), but I wouldn't buy one if there was another choice.

Do the aftermarket ones have any instructions on which way the filter goes? That question has been asked before, so I have little doubt that at least one engine has met an early demise by someone putting the filter in with the grommet facing inward. The Honda filters have a nice full page instruction sheet. It even has pictures for anyone that can't read. :eek:

Well it's in and I'll just use it till next oil change . Price isn't an issue for me. Just for piece of mind I did take it out this morning to see if it was smashed and it looked good, so not to long . I'll use the k&n next time . I've used nothing but Honda and k&n in the past.

Most flash Brian,,they look pricey. I suppose the XL600 rear wheel swap to a 650 runs into the same problem as trying to put one on an XR,,ie,,XL wheels to wide for the swingarm. The disc brakes on a 650 rule it out anyway. I actually bought a wheel from an 82 XR500-r and managed to get it on the XR600 with a heap of grinding of various components,,it's the same size in width between swingarm as the XL600 wheel but it isn't cush drive,,major mission but it's done and works..sort of indicates I could get an XL600 wheel to fit if I really tried..I did it more for the brakes as my original wheels brakes were just useless but didn't realise it'd be such a job to get it to fit on the XR600..I thought all the non cush drive wheels were the same size between the swingarm but plainly they aren't. The 500 wheel runs a larger shoe (same as an XL600) and at least work..Anyhow..just a ramble and yep we shall see about the baskets..

Edited by Horri