Sign in to follow this  

WR 250 maintenace cost

Hallo guys.

I'm thinking about having a 2008 WR 250.

I never had any 2stroke enduro bike in the past, so I'm looking info about maintenance cost.

I only ride in woods and never in the pit.

I usually don't push my machine to it's limits.

How many miles a piston, cylinder, reeds etc will need replacement?

What else should I have to know?

two strokes really are pretty simple, pre mix oil (works out to be half the cost of changing 4t oil every 5 hours for me), gear oil every 20 hours or so, put an hour meter on the bike and pistons should last somewhere around 100-200 hours, depending on quality and how it's ridden, on a stock cast piston i'd repace at 100 hours, there on in use after market forged psitons and replace every 200 hours from then in, 100 hours for rings, if you ride hard halve these intervals (50 hours on stock piston, 50 hours on rings and 100 for forged piston)

bottom end should last 3 top end's safely, really for msot people you'll never have to do a bottom end, so don't stress about it to much, really engine wise there isn't a whole lot to worry about, the biggest money sapper are in about two years time when linkage and swing arm bearings need replacing, chain silder, brake pads ect, just be sure to strip the bike down and re-greese every bearings before the first ride (swing arm pivots, wheel bearings, linkage and head stem) as they never seem to have enoigh greese from the factory, also buy a cable luber and pray some graphite power spray down them every once in a while.

I raced at least 36 Hare scramble and Enduro's and practiced nearly every week on my WR 250 without ever pulling to top end off. I have no idea as to hours or miles but can tell you that i ran the crap out of it and it was still running fine when i sold it and got a WR 300. Probably not the smartest thing to do but that just shows how tough they are. A top end can be done easily in a couple hours and does not require pulling the motor. It is a simple as it gets so check it at least once a year.

• Like 1

I had an 02 CR250 which is the ~same engine ... maybe same tranny ... 6+ years on the same piston and rings ... changed the tranny oil a few times a year ... nothing special with the oil ... the bike never broke and ran very good the entire time ...

I'd say the bike will wear you out before you wear it out ...

I live in GA. I ride mostly vet class mx on a honda 450 locally. Maybe 1 or 2 hare scrambles locally each year. In 2008 I purchased a 2006 wr250 with very low hours sight unseen. A local dealer employee who received the bike as a bonus fell on hard times and needed cash. He knew I was a Husky fan ( i have had 7 different vintage & modern Huskys) called me and offered me a price I could not refuse.

I had the forks redone, rejetted, and set the bike up for my annual Colorado summer ride in and about Crested Butte. We spend 7 days riding the mountain trails. So far I have 6-8 hare scrambles, 15 or so trail rides here in GA and approximately 3000 miles of CO mountain trails. I check the piston every year and so far the Husky has proved to be very durable. The piston is still in good shape. I have the V3 reeds, replaced the carb with the Kiehin, and it is a great trail bike. It does lose power at altitude, but the light weight more than makes up for that over the 4 strokes that most of my buds ride. I am 210 pounds, and after three years of contemplating switching to a four stroke, I still love it. I am sure it is priced right. I highly recommend the bike.

My main complaint is I wish it came with a six speed. I have purchased the parts to convert to a six speed (it seems many husky trannys are interchangeable) and as soon as the crank or bearings warrant splitting the cases, I will insert the 6 speed.

Good luck.

By the way - I highly recommend you use Honda HP2 two stroke oil. I use it in all of my 2 strokes and the results are impressive. clean, low wear and no buildup.

All I have done on my WR 250 2005 is 2 pistons , bottom end once ( only because someone else didnt replace a piston when he said he had and the skirt broke )

Other things , replaced chain guide with TM designs one , chain and sprockets twice , grease the linkages every 6 months or so , kick start must be stripped and greased every month at least or it will wear and need replacing , still on same clutch .

Bikes are very strong and very reliable , you will be happy with it .

yamaha quit importing them in what, 1995 ?

Husky also manufactures an off-road spec 250 called a WR250. Still sold to this day.

Those old Yami's were sweet though. Wish they would get off their ass and make them again.