bike starts initially, but then stalls out about 30seconds later

I have a problem I've been unable to diagnose. The bike will startup fine, but after a short time it begins missing and stalls out. It will not crank again unless the bike sits for while.

So far, I have completely drained the tank and replaced fuel, disassembled the carb (which was clean) I went ahead and replaced the pilot jet. I replaced the spark plug, and confirmed that the plug sparks when grounded against the frame, I checked the petcock suction hose, it is not kinked or blocked. I started the bike with the gas tank open, to see if it was a venting problem, still died after half a minute. I was thinking that perhaps the floats are sticking? I sprayed some starting fluid into the airfilter while the engine was dying, it did not help bring it back to life.

06 SM, 3/3, dynojet, yoshimura full system, kientech, otherwise stock.

any ideas?

thanks

yeah, I tried running the motor with the petcock on prime. I also confirmed the gas flows freely when draining the tank, thru the petcock left on prime. I smelled the dipstick, smells like motul synthetic. I can't smell any gas in the oil. I'll go ahead and change it anyway, it has about 1000mi since last change.

I have a problem I've been unable to diagnose. The bike will startup fine, but after a short time it begins missing and stalls out. It will not crank again unless the bike sits for while. So far, I have completely drained the tank and replaced fuel, disassembled the carb (which was clean) I went ahead and replaced the pilot jet. I replaced the spark plug, and confirmed that the plug sparks when grounded against the frame, I checked the petcock suction hose, it is not kinked or blocked. I started the bike with the gas tank open, to see if it was a venting problem, still died after half a minute. I was thinking that perhaps the floats are sticking? I sprayed some starting fluid into the airfilter while the engine was dying, it did not help bring it back to life.

06 SM, 3/3, dynojet, yoshimura full system, kientech, otherwise stock.

any ideas?

thanks

You stated it will not crank again unless the bike sits awhile, is that right?

Yes, it runs just long enough to get a little heat in the motor, then starts bogging and backfiring and dies. It has to sit for a while, or the starter just cranks the motor with no combustion.

I'll have a look under the stator.