Sign in to follow this  

Tail Bag Solutions???

Hi there,

I was hoping to see some pics of tail bag/saddle bag solutions from all the innovative DR650 crowds...

Maybe you all are faced with the same dilemma...I don't like to ride with a backpack (done it, but restrictive and necessary for water when my bags in the back carry gas in msr white fuel containers)

I have soft-sided wolfman saddle bags that are great, but ride with them half full to take off my jacket and place it in there, carry gatoraid, goggles etc...

I have a set up for when I ultralight tent camp off the bike by adding a nice rubberized-fabric fishing bag with heavy duty zippers etc. I bought for 6 bucks(:banana:! a little cheaper than the alpha wolfman bag)...but what do the rest of you guys do for everyday riding street, day ride dirt, or ultralight tent camping off the bike...thanks in advance for advice for tail bags or pics!!!

Lil John

May not be what you're looking for but I like the Givi topcases, they're watertight, somewhat secure and big enough for your helmet, tools and stuff. I also have a brake light that flashes in the back of it.

But I do mostly street riding and very little offroad.

RS2010-1.jpg

Ventura system. Small bag with small height rack bag1.jpg

Big bag with large rack. I have 2 big bags which zipgether if required and they all have either back pack straps or a shoulder strap in the case of the small bag. I do have Givi bags but don't use them anymore as they are clunky to carry around off the bike. The Givi side bags can also act like brakes when sneaking through traffic. I know.

bag2.jpg

thanks guys, great pics...will research those, love the givi, but I try to ride dirt miles (about 4500 thus far on my 05 bought new)...I am just now kinda riding on the street, mostly after I truck my bike to the desert or off the 395 (Bishop, Mammoth, etc...) I used to use a soft sided plastic bottomed Stanley tool box, but it was so high I have actually dropped the bike trying to mount and dismount, doing a awkward unnamed ballet move to get my leg off and on the bike...I'm tall at 6'3", but still prevents me from a Givi (which I always wanted a added brake light for)...thanks for the info...

John

I have the Ventura rack - low version with the "Sports" bag - only about 10l but good for tools for day trips. I use e-bay side racks and Andy Strapz soft panniers for longer trips.

080106-Toowoomba-DRSign-01.jpg

Rack can be reversed if desired, bring load closer to front.

This is my small tailbag.

2.jpg,

newseat2.jpg,

It started out as a Fieldsheer magnetic tankbag. I cut of the flaps with the magnets in them and then cut out the nylon liner from the bottom. I then painted fiberglass resin around the sides from the zipper to the bottom and filled the bottom with about a quarter inch of resin. My tail bag is now fairly rigid except for the top which is still stiff but flexible. It is water resistant and will hold about three bottles of water, a cap, cigarettes, my phone, camera, and a light jacket (very light).

Just got this Ogio bag and put it on. Nice size for everyday. Luggage.com for $41.59 plus shipping. The tank bag is from Giant Loop. Also use the Giant Loop Great Basin for longer trips.

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg