Honda 450X vs 450XCW

The Honda is based on the R as far as motor and the suspension stock is not the greatest in stock form for tight slow trails. If the trails are open and fast the Honda will do fine but if they are tight and nasty the KTM will do a whole lot better. Its lighter, the motor is not as hard hitting its a real woods power delivery and the hardware on the KTM is far better. Its a Honda made in Japan and the KTM made in Austria very different ideas on how to build a woods bike. I would give the nod to the KTM.

I'm still on the fence about the whole thing. I currently have a nicely set up 08 250 XCW. I have one guy wanting to trade me an 08 450XCF or an 09 450SXF for it, another guy wanting to trade me an 07 CRF450X plus a little cash for it, and another wanting to trade me his 450XCRW. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping my 250.

I'm still on the fence about the whole thing. I currently have a nicely set up 08 250 XCW. I have one guy wanting to trade me an 08 450XCF or an 09 450SXF for it, another guy wanting to trade me an 07 CRF450X plus a little cash for it, and another wanting to trade me his 450XCRW. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping my 250.

The CRF450X is an excellent 'template' bike.

Stock, it doesn't do too much very well.

With the right mods it can be what every you want, within reason.

The CRF450X was specifically designed by Honda to be a viable replacement for the XR650R, and be a true Baja Racer. It is NOT anything like the R model and share almost no parts that matter. It is a smaller, lighter, XR650R. It just looks like the R.

If you want it to do what a XCW does best, it cannot be done very well. But it will do things the XCW cannot do well, like go 100mph over a 7 mile whoop field. Again, after mods.

I have a CRF450X, and I HAD to do several mods in order to make it single track worthy. The mods basically mimic a stock KTM: less trial (different triple clamps), more rotating mass (steel clutch basket), better bars, pegs, seat, levers, etc, . I even went so far as to put in an '05 R cam (major mid boost) and have it ported to widen the powerband down low, without loosing peak power. It's a blast to ride, handles very well, is top heavy, has way too big of a hit until you get used to it, and cost $ 4000.00 to achieve.

I personally have not liked KTM suspension, even after mods (until recently) and opted for the CRFX 4 years ago. I don't know if I would make that choice today.

I had an 05 450X a couple of years ago.. and after having a KTM I cant imagine being happy with one. Had valve problems at very low mileage..the bike was plush, comfortable, and had great low-end once uncorked buts that all the good I could say about it. The X was heavy, unreliable, e-start never worked, and if you go to track the power and suspension will hold you back.

If you want more grunt trade for one of the KTM 450's

I'm considering a 4 stroke after a long string of KTM 2 strokes. I've got my eye on a nice 07 CRF450X or I may look at an 08 450 XCW or XCRW (not sure what the diff is). Any opinions on the pluses and minuses of both?

If you really like 2strokes, why not get a 300 or make yours a 300. They are a lot like 4 strokes as far as torque goes. Just a thought...............:banana:

I hope they do not go back to linkage, I prefer the linkless 06+ they work well for me, I hate linkage, offroad KISS works and is alive and well

I own a crf250x and a 450exc-r I prefer the 450exc-r handling and suspension and over the 250X by a long long way, I wont compare the engines as that's not fair, the ktm 450's are way too much fun

I cant get off that crf250x fast enough

I do not believe there is any comparison of a Japanese 4 stroke and a KTM 4 stroke.

I have a 2010 KTM 450 Six Days Edition, and a 07 525 XC which has a Baja Designs Dual Sport kit and is tagged.

Either of these bikes are far superior to the Honda X or the Yamaha WR.

Of course these are my opinions and will certainly not be everyone else's.

I just think for off-road use KTM is the best. I also have two 300 2 strokes and 690r.

I really believe in these bikes.

I do not believe there is any comparison of a Japanese 4 stroke and a KTM 4 stroke.

I have a 2010 KTM 450 Six Days Edition, and a 07 525 XC which has a Baja Designs Dual Sport kit and is tagged.

Either of these bikes are far superior to the Honda X or the Yamaha WR.

Of course these are my opinions and will certainly not be everyone else's.

I just think for off-road use KTM is the best. I also have two 300 2 strokes and 690r.

I really believe in these bikes.

Hey John

I think you need a couple more bikes!!!:banana: