oil in the air box

2005 w/ Edelbrock conversion. Oil leaking into air box from breather hose. Tried repositioning, no luck. Than tried to run breather hose straight (head to crankcase nipples) and now leaks from the nipple at the cyl. head. Probable have pressure issues.

Recommendations ?

Thanks guys,

The bike is obviously a new machine for me to work on and I'm try in to get it right, and not necessarly back to factory specs.. Do I need to get the so called black box or is their another way to remedy the problem. .

Unless I am mistaken all the box is, is to catch the oil vapors and then allow the pressure to be released...

Someone else will need to confirm but a temporary fix would be to fit a cheap bottle with a tube running from the crankcase to the bottom of the bottle and a tube into the lid from the rocker cover, and a small hole in the bottle lid to allow air out...

Has anyone changed the ugly black plastic pot for a nice alloy one?

Unless I am mistaken all the box is, is to catch the oil vapors and then allow the pressure to be released...

Someone else will need to confirm but a temporary fix would be to fit a cheap bottle with a tube running from the crankcase to the bottom of the bottle and a tube into the lid from the rocker cover, and a small hole in the bottle lid to allow air out...

Has anyone changed the ugly black plastic pot for a nice alloy one?

Yes thats it, just a oil vapor recovery can,, but the OEM works very well, fits like it was made for the bike :banana: and there is no advantage to removing it.

Design your own? Well sure you can.. Has someone folded and welded up a replacement,, Yup, thats been done as well.

In the end, you need a canister that has the size, flow, baffles and volume as the stock to work right.. So design away,,,, or pick a used or new OEM one and be done with it...

The box is not jest and empty vessel. It has baffels designed to condense oil vapors back to liquid and return them to the engine. A vented catch can is better than just a hose but not by much.

A couple of guys have made alloy ones, really not worth the effort. I was talking to Pro Moto Billet a few years ago, cost on a run of 500 would retail at about $100, not worth it for bling.

So the better option is to fit the standard one in a fake alloy one to look better :eek:

Or a CF one, replicating the OEM one but slightly smaller, built in LED blue lights, and Ti threaded inserts molded into the CF, built in pocket for a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery.. Should not cost more then $400-500 a piece :banana: